My 78’ Pontiac GP/SJ 454 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

78BB-Pontiac

Apprentice
May 6, 2019
St.Paul, Minnesota
A grand or more for a peanut port truck head big block???

I think I’ll have no problem getting a grand or more. They can see it run for one. It also comes with a Holley Strip Dominator high rise intake, new Edelbrock 750 carb, new billet distributor new high output chrome alternator with billet pulley. Also a new starter and polished aluminum water pump. New plugs, wires and distributor cap. That Carburetor was over $400 all by itself.
Oh yeah’ I’ll have no problem getting around $1200 for that 454.

78BB-Pontiac

Apprentice
May 6, 2019
St.Paul, Minnesota
I have a question for you guys. What do you think about a Ford 8.8 rear end from a 88’ fox body mustang for my Pontiac? The guy wants $150 for it. I know it will need different axles. I’ll just take the hole thing in and have it rebuilt and set up for my car.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Well l'll throw my 2 cents in as l run a couple BBC. It's easier to make hp/tq with a BBC than SBC, it's more costly but well you already got the base to build on, you know $4000 go a long way and you can build it along the way an not just one shot. Also you'll never get the TQ out of a SBC Na that you can get out of a BBC naturally aspirated.
Now as for a 8.8 l got one in my monte but have yet to run it. Mine its out of an explorer so l narrowed it an had Moser build me some axles, l also went 4 link with a pan hard an coilovers. But for the 8.8 your talking about one of our sponsors on here builds a 4 link conversion kit for the Ford rearend an they build a conversion kit for the offset explorer rearend. And people are doing bought. Easier to find an 8.8 than a 9".

Jay.D

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 18, 2017
St.Paul, Minnesota
Well l'll throw my 2 cents in as l run a couple BBC. It's easier to make hp/tq with a BBC than SBC, it's more costly but well you already got the base to build on, you know $4000 go a long way and you can build it along the way an not just one shot. Also you'll never get the TQ out of a SBC Na that you can get out of a BBC naturally aspirated.
Now as for a 8.8 l got one in my monte but have yet to run it. Mine its out of an explorer so l narrowed it an had Moser build me some axles, l also went 4 link with a pan hard an coilovers. But for the 8.8 your talking about one of our sponsors on here builds a 4 link conversion kit for the Ford rearend an they build a conversion kit for the offset explorer rearend. And people are doing bought. Easier to find an 8.8 than a 9".
Yeah I found a 9” for $800 but another guy got too it before I did unfortunately.
You know a few pluses on a small block is I won’t have to fight to get headers to fit. The motor will be much lighter than a 454. I also know small blocks like the back of my hand. Not so much with big blocks.
I find the right motor to buy, which I am starting to look around. I could have that motor in and having fun trying to fry that 700R4 and blow apart the little ten bolt in no time at all! Lol...

Jay.D

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 18, 2017
St.Paul, Minnesota
Also’ if I fry that 700R4 too quick I still have the TH350 that was in the car when I got it to beat on till it fry’s. With the 411’s in the rear I will have some fun roasting the 60’s on back too!
I just don’t see any negatives really with going for a fresh turn key 383?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You might save a couple bucks doing an 8.8 but it'll never fit right. I'd buck up and get a 9" housing intended for a Gbody.

Reactions: 1 users

78BB-Pontiac

Apprentice
May 6, 2019
St.Paul, Minnesota
You might save a couple bucks doing an 8.8 but it'll never fit right. I'd buck up and get a 9" housing intended for a Gbody.
Yeah I wasn’t sure about the 8.8, I read a couple people on here use them. But if it’s a issue with fitment then I’ll just keep looking for a nine.

Reactions: 1 user

Jay.D

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 18, 2017
St.Paul, Minnesota
T
The only reason it sold for that was because of the heads

781 and 049 are the best "street" heads out there

The flow numbers prove it.
Turns out on further inspection the motor is a late 70’s truck motor but the heads are from a PASS car and not original to that motor.

78BB-Pontiac

Apprentice
May 6, 2019
St.Paul, Minnesota
Here’s the scoop on the 454 motor in my Pontiac friends. The block casting number is 14015445.
It also has a HP (27) on the block above the oil filter.
Here are some pics of the head casting numbers and a look inside valley with my bore scope at a couple lifters.
Like I said before the motor runs real good and doesn’t puff any smoke.
I just going to keep this motor and give it what it needs. Some better flowing heads and better cam shaft and get a more appropriate intake manifold to reach my goal of about 500hp.
Any suggestions on parts needed would be greatly appreciated!

I already have a new Edelbrock 750 four barrel, also a billet MSD distributor, new aluminum radiator and dual electric fan set up.
B3946282-A1A8-4CF4-9489-CA11C22A8CAC.jpeg
D5499BC0-BA8D-4451-9BB6-6541B2ED2C5A.jpeg
20EAEE84-E4BC-446C-8E21-E27CCCAA9B2C.jpeg
9921897A-740F-4AEB-9208-4AB585F63929.jpeg
92FC1241-9461-4C03-B1FF-D2487DCFF167.jpeg
0219113E-9BD4-4632-AF19-4C8520BC8C32.jpeg
CE9264D6-6BAB-45EC-88D5-4C1090415499.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor