My 79 monte build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlola

Master Mechanic
Feb 5, 2011

Finished this corner, well, other than the re-installing the door bracket and rocker panel. That will come later. For now, it's 1 down, ... like ten to go..

All these patches get a nice coating of epoxy, being sure to push and drip it down into the cracks where it flows around the welds and into areas that couldn't be reached.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Looks good. I echo the 80 grit sanding of the flat patch first, and the zinc weld thru primer. Expensive, but well worth it when you can get to the backside of the patch to paint it.

Also, an observation. I don't see the washers on the front upper control arm bushings. The ones that go between the nut and the bushing on the crossshaft.

Carlola

Master Mechanic
Feb 5, 2011
There are washers there, though just regular ones. I don't remember the kit coming with its own. Maybe there floating around in the box, if not, and they're supposed to be bigger I'll be sure to get some. Much of the hardware isn't final either, lots of stainless rather than gr8.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Yeah, the factory washer is slightly larger than the bushing in diameter, and it curves a bit, cupping the bushing so to speak. You can see the big washers in this pic.

getimage.php

Just wanted to throw that out there. Don't want you a-arm to pull through the crossshaft during some "spirited" driving, lol

Carlola

Master Mechanic
Feb 5, 2011
So for the last few weeks I have been rebuilding my rotisserie. It was one of my 1st welding projects and I felt I could do much better the 2nd time around. It was also based to short to be able to directly sit on the frame, with all the lining up and measuring needed for the new body mounts, I wanted to make it easier.

I made a "balancer", basically allows you to adjust the weight ratio at a fixed height. Since I was replacing the mounts and lower door hinge area, I wasn't able to mount the rotisserie low enough to take full advantage of the balancer. Even fully raised, it is still bottom heavy and requires 2 people to spin the body. Theoretically, if I was able to mount lower, I could adjust it to the "sweet spot" and spin it almost effortlessly. Maybe I can see it's full potential on my next project....... then again, 3rd times the charm, might make another lol.

Spent most of the day playing tetris in my shop, it's so small I need to re-organize everything when separating body and frame. Got a small patch done on the underbody then called it a weekend.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
At least you have a rotisserie. I have to do my crap on the lift or on my back, lol. Any progress? :D :bump:

Carlola

Master Mechanic
Feb 5, 2011
Took a bit of a break, but am back at it now. Have been working on the wheel wells. This turned into a HUGEEE project, total pain in the *ss. I looked at some pictures and pretty much just winged it. Kept the outters, though the drivers side had some serious rott and needed new metal as well. Not exactly the easy pieces I was getting accustomed too.

Put the doors back on, and bolted what mounts I had to the frame to keep things as rigid as possible. I was always worried about the shell warping on me, I removed a lot of panels, torqued it pretty good on my first rotisserie and didn't brace it until after. Though putting the the pieces back together looks promising, the old holes all line up and by my eye everything looks pretty straight. Big relief.

Next issue it getting the trunk hinges to work, I may have to cut em up and adjust them as they will probably hit the new taller wheel wells. Will also get going on the remaining trunk floor and then on to the mounts, roof skin, doors, fenders...........FML.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Looking good! Glad to see you are still making progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor