Spring, Texas
Looks factory fresh! Great work!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Well, I wish I could say things were moving along well. Sorry to say but Ive had a little setback with the wagon interior. Turns out the SEM paint is the wrong color. Couldnt really tell when you hold it up to the original door panels (that I didnt paint because they matched the vinyl) but when they were inside the car you can really see the difference.

Now I have to pull the panels back out and respray all the plastic and headliner trim. Not a huge deal but just a pain in the butt. I took the SEM back to the paint supply two weeks ago and they tried to get a closer match. It looks good against the rear panel in certain light but this color is a real problem. It looks grey in one light, green in another. You can see in the second photo how much difference there is and thats what they tried to mix this last time.
I dropped off the front door panel and whats left of the gallon on Friday to see if they can do better. I dont mind spraying the door panels as long as the colors close to the vinyl and it looks right. We'll see.
In the mean time I put in the headlights, parking lights and trim yesterday. Not a bad fit for reproductions.

IMG_0600.JPG
IMG_0611.JPG
IMG_0615.JPG
IMG_0617.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Looks great, have had the interior color setbacks also. I wish I could find a tailgate panel like that. That is in great shape.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I was really lucky to find a car that was so clean. The original dash had a few cracks but I found a pretty clean one to replace it and the B pillars were dried out but I found a guy on CL that was parting out a sedan with a clean (just dirty) interior.
Im a little frustrated about the SEM. The shops mixed colors for me multiple times and they've always gotten it right. This Fern Grey color is a pain in the butt. Looks grey, looks green. All depends on the angle and lighting. At this point I know I'll probably have to spray the door panels to get it right. I just hope the mix is close to the vinyl color. If it wasnt for the B pillars I would have left it alone.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Looks great, have had the interior color setbacks also. I wish I could find a tailgate panel like that. That is in great shape.
I was really lucky to find a car that was so clean. The original dash had a few cracks but I found a pretty clean one to replace it and the B pillars were dried out but I found a guy on CL that was parting out a sedan with a clean (just dirty) interior.
Im a little frustrated about the SEM. The shops mixed colors for me multiple times and they've always gotten it right. This Fern Grey color is a pain in the butt. Looks grey, looks green. All depends on the angle and lighting. At this point I know I'll probably have to spray the door panels to get it right. I just hope the mix is close to the vinyl color. If it wasnt for the B pillars I would have left it alone.
Man that really sucks. I have run into that before, especially with the odd colors. I
hope you get it sorted.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
UGH... So I picked up the new mix today. Sprayed a piece of the B pillar trim and this is the outcome. On top is the vinyl piece from the rear door panel. Middle is the new mix and its sitting on the original untouched front door panel. I have to say Im a little frustrated. Especially since this place has done custom mixes for me before and theyve been perfect.
IMG_0630.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
UGH... So I picked up the new mix today. Sprayed a piece of the B pillar trim and this is the outcome. On top is the vinyl piece from the rear door panel. Middle is the new mix and its sitting on the original untouched front door panel. I have to say Im a little frustrated. Especially since this place has done custom mixes for me before and theyve been perfect. View attachment 59335
Hopefully you'll get it sorted. Now I have to find a tailgate panel in that nice of shape.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Thought I would post an update for anyone interested.
Ive FINALLY made a decision regarding the interior color in my wagon. The local paint supplier tried multiple times to match the SEM Color Coat to the color of my interior but could never get it right. I sent one of my rear door panels to the SEM company in SC. They offer a free color matching service. They got a perfect match.
Now the good part.. I got samples of the matching cloth for the interior color code from SMS Fabrics in OR. They were pretty much green. Not grayish, theyre green. On top of this, ACC has discontinued all the grey carpets they used to stock with a hint of green. Now nothing would match or look right.
So, off to the local yard I deal with. They have a Cutlass there with a medium grey interior. The interior is pretty hammered but I took the rear seat bottom out to mess around with. The seat was filthy. I cleaned it with a scrub brush and whitewall cleaner and hosed it off. It actually looked pretty nice clean.
Then I went to another local yard that had a 50K mile Cutlass sedan with a blue manual bench seat. I got the front bench and the rear seat bottom for $100.
Im having the seats out of the sedan redone in the same color and cloth thats on the seat bottom out of the coupe.
I also went back to the paint supplier and borrowed their SEM color chart for a few hours. The easiest color to use will be Presidio Grey. Its been called GM Medium Grey on a few forums so Im sure its going to look fine.
I took the seats to the upholstery shop today to find out how much of each cloth I will need to order but the owner asked me to come back on Monday. He said he will take two weeks to do the job which isnt that bad.
In the second photo you can see how the carpet, seat and plastic colors look together. I think theyre going to look good in a silver car. The only thing left is deciding on a pattern for the upper front door panel. The rear panel will be easy. The insert will be done in the lined cloth, stitched vertically in the same pattern as the seat.
IMG_0643.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0637.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor