My daily driver project 81 ElCamino

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I loathe holley carbs, never had good luck with them. had a 600cfm on my old 79F100 with a stock 302. 2 weeks after rebuilding it, the float hung up and basically flooded the engine, and upon trying to restart, it caught the engine on fire big enough that the vacuum wouldn't pull the flames in.... only thing I had to put it out was my fresh cup of coffee.....

what a waste of coffee......

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
My custom seat cover came in today from Dixie Monte. Immediately removed the seat from the El Camino and stripped it. You literally feel like your sitting on the floor. The seat foam is just sagging on your butt areas and the middle of the seat backs. I used some scraps of 2" dense foam and spray glued them to the seat bottom and seat backs. An electric knife works fantastic for this. This seat feels awesome now and will probably be easier to climb out of the truck now. Here's a repair in order on the seat back.
elcamseat.jpg elcamseat2.jpg elcamseat3.jpg elcamseat4.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
This is a 'Makin' It Happen' restoration project. I'm glad to see you surfaced from the Pit of Despair and are showing us how to Get It Done. Keep up the informative posts!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
The snowball effect of JUST putting on a new seat cover. "I might as well do this, oh and while that's out, I might as well do this" Lol

View attachment 53711
Lol, i completely understand that as most of us guys do! That's how my cutlass has turned into an almost 5 yr resto project! Lets put on some suspension parts, oh and lets make this rust hole bigger via the foot tool, hell with it lets take the vinyl off, ahh sh*t let's just tear it down and rebuild it lol!
At least you are gaining some solace with the salon issues.....temporarily that is!

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I have been driving this truck without most of the interior plastic trim parts since I bought it. I painted everything today with SEM burgundy. All the chrome plated trim screws were rusty so I bought packages of #8 oval head stainless screws of many lengths from Lowes. I polished the heads on my buffing wheel to a mirror shine. It got dark on me but I'll post pics tomorrow. My rear lower side plastic trim panels (seat belt slides through them) were sun bleached and sluffing. I blasted them with my portable blaster and there were a few deep pits left. I used body filler and putty mixed together and filled them. I used Dupli Color bed liner in a tall aerosol and sprayed the majority of them. After the SEM burgundy paint, they turned out pretty good. I will have to do this to the Salons rear plastics too but I plan on sanding the bedliner down just a little to give it more of a factory grain look. SEM makes a texture coating but my paint store did not have it in stock. I have the seat bolted in but still have the passengers side seat back to foam and recover. My drivers side retractor seat belt was faded and had some light fraying on the edges. I used a lighter and ran it quickly up and down burning the edges. I then dusted the SEM paint on it and it turned out presentable. Will replace with new ones later when I restore the truck. Sitting in it with the new dash cover, new carpet and new seat cover really made a big difference. Now I need to do the upper door panels. I had bought a couple extra yards of the brick cloth to do them when I ordered my seat cover.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor