My daily driver project 81 ElCamino

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
It's turning out killer BUT, the headlight switch bracket won't let the outer dash panel go on. It's sticking out about a 1/4". It's a new steel one from Mikes Montes. I also have an original plastic one here. It's hitting the bracket too. ??????? I can fabricate something but am boggled. I thought all round gauge cluster headlight switch brackets were the same?? Were they different 86-88? The headlight switch brackets I have may be for the 86-88. I'm using 85 and older stuff.
el camino dash.jpg
el camino column.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Looks good Robert!

Yes the 86-88 brackets are different than the older ones. Are both the plastic and metal ones you're trying the newer style?

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I made my own headlight switch bracket and cut a small slot underneath the dash panel for the wiper switch lever. I drilled 2 holes and mounted it with 8/32 machine screws and nuts. It's hidden which is kinda neat. Had a fiasco with the printed circuit board. It was delaminated and causing a short. I had a nice one on a broken cluster panel so I swapped the circuit board over. Cleaned every bulb socket, pin locks, and connections on circuit board. Now everything is working except the oil and temp gauges. I have new senders but need to install them in the engine. The tach reads way too high and I have the filter installed. Not sure whats up with that. I'd say it's around 1000 RPM too high. I got three wires on my oil sending unit plug in. I can't remember which one of the three I use on the new gauge oil sending unit. Anyone?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Does your tach have a switch to select 8 cylinder or 6 cylinder? If I remember right the stock tach in my Grand Prix has one.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Just noticed you are using a 81-85 chev gauge in an olds... ( nm I confused this with your cutlass thread )
Is it possible someone took the needle off the tach at some point ? My car always read a couple hundred rpms off. This last spring I set the tach by using my timing light and idle stop to bring the motor up to a steady 2k. Popped the needle off where it was reading and put it back on to match the 2k rpms.

Last edited:

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
It's turning out killer BUT, the headlight switch bracket won't let the outer dash panel go on. It's sticking out about a 1/4". It's a new steel one from Mikes Montes. I also have an original plastic one here. It's hitting the bracket too. ??????? I can fabricate something but am boggled. I thought all round gauge cluster headlight switch brackets were the same?? Were they different 86-88? The headlight switch brackets I have may be for the 86-88. I'm using 85 and older stuff.
View attachment 53367 View attachment 53368

it's like, deja-vu! :p

and this is why you want to use SEM instead of dupli-color.... caps showed same color, column in SEM...

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
After losing a stop light race a little bit ago, I came home. I had put on a 600 Holley when I first bought this truck and had it tuned perfectly for this engine. When I was doing my performance 350 swap I broke the ear off the 600 Holley. I also had issues with the new engine so I swapped back to the Goodwrench 350. Anyway, I have been using a 670 Holley street Avenger and it has killed the power. I have heard by others a smaller carb is great on a stock 350. I bought a used 600 at a swap meet a few weeks ago and just swapped out the broke base plate and swapped out the 670. I started it up and gas was spraying out the disk on the side of the rear float bowl. I can't catch a break this weekend. So I put the 670 back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor