My daily driver project 81 ElCamino

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
ROAD TO NEW PAINT IS UNDERWAY. I got home from work at 3 and by 7 the front clip is off, one fender is chemical stripped to bare metal, drivers side door panels removed, and mirror removed. The drivers side hinge bushings are shot and there is a crack in the structure of the door shell. Also someone done a horrible bondo job on front edge of the door. Today will be stud gunning the door and welding up 3 slide hammer holes, rebuilding hinges, and stripping the door to bare metal. Hopefully there's time for body filler and some blocking on it. My dad is going to loan me his truck for a week or two. I'm just doing an outside re shoot on the body with original colors and Super Sport decals. Not shooting jambs. May tuck the bumpers and paint them body color. I'm also thinking about swapping to aero mirrors and 83 header. Either header will get new grille, turn signal lens' and headlight bezels. I also have a new front air dam and a bunch of smalls already. So here goes a mega thrash

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
You've done some awesome work to that car. I'm looking forward to following along with the progress.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Looking forward to seeing some photos. Just being curious here, but weren't you going to sell the El Camino?
Yes, was going to sell but will need a truck for awhile. Probably be working on our house for at least a year. Need something that hauls crap from Lowes

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
What a day. Got the door removed from the body. I stripped it with chemical stripper. Took three applications to get it clean. I had always noticed the door was a different shade. I found that it was blended. The front of the door was the worst of it. I used a bunch of studs and stud gunned the hell out of it. There were a few surface rusted areas so they got blasted. Found about 6 cracks in the front and rear of the door. Got them welded up and ground. Then I found two more just above the door handle dimple. Got them welded and ground. I applied body filler on the entire door. Going to wait a few minutes and start blocking. My lower door hinge was in great shape and took the small bushings. The upper was so bad I had to weld it and re drill it to hammer in the larger bushings. Took me about 10 minutes to get the stupid spring back in. I need to just buy the tool I guess.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor