My Dodge Truck Project (Cummins Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'll put you up but you gotta bring your own surly and buy your own whisky.
20201115_212846.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
20211222_161551.jpg

I obviously opted for the cheapest one. After all, I did pull the transmission in my old F150 with the transfer case still attached with just a floor jack. The seals arrived today as well. I work tomorrow, so I'll probably get started with this on Friday.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
View attachment 188863
I obviously opted for the cheapest one. After all, I did pull the transmission in my old F150 with the transfer case still attached with just a floor jack. The seals arrived today as well. I work tomorrow, so I'll probably get started with this on Friday.
That's the one I have Joe. Sorry I didn't answer sooner. It had no trouble with the 4L85E, which is not light. I have an adapter for my floor jack for an automatic transmission pan. Trouble with it is it's really tall so it's pretty tough to get the truck high enough to be able to get the transmission, adapter and jack out from underneath it.

I used a floor jack and a piece of plywood the first time I pulled the 4L65E out of my truck. It was a little sketchy. The jack saddle is just a little too small.

Strap the transmission to that HF jack and you can get pretty rough with it. No danger of the transmission spilling off.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
That's the one I have Joe. Sorry I didn't answer sooner. It had no trouble with the 4L85E, which is not light. I have an adapter for my floor jack for an automatic transmission pan. Trouble with it is it's really tall so it's pretty tough to get the truck high enough to be able to get the transmission, adapter and jack out from underneath it.

I used a floor jack and a piece of plywood the first time I pulled the 4L65E out of my truck. It was a little sketchy. The jack saddle is just a little too small.

Strap the transmission to that HF jack and you can get pretty rough with it. No danger of the transmission spilling off.

Oh I never said I didn't drop the Ford trans...

Lol no worries this one should be fine for my purposes. The other two were a bit expensive for a tool I'm not gonna use that much (although it is a Dodge, maybe I shouldn't say that...)

If I have any ambition after work today I might get started on it.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Changing the 4L60E in my 94 Z71 chipped my tooth when the bar came back in my face, no wonder why I don't like them, apparently the feeling is mutual. Those Ford automatics are pretty heavy compared to that Mazda 5 spd you pulled but thankfully more durable. My 42RE wasn't too bad, the 727 your trans is based on also wasn't terrible. But apparently your monster 48RE is 200 pounds dry with torque converter. About 13 more than a 4L80E.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor