My Dodge Truck Project (Cummins Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Spent today running around buying parts. First went to the transmission shop down the street to see if they had a pump bushing for a 47RE on hand. They did, and he even pressed it in and staked it for me.
20211227_131447.jpg

I also had them check my torque converter for leaks. It was leaking at only about 20 PSI, right at the base of the drive hub. So he gave me the name the place he uses for torque converters and told me to let them know that he sent me. The place was called Top Line Converters. I called them and they had one in stock, so I drove to their shop and picked up a reman converter. They actually rebuild them right there on site, so that was kinda cool. The new one is a low(er) stall billet single disc. Should be a slight upgrade.
20211227_131403.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, supposedly the stock converters were too high of a stall. Supposedly a 48RE converter swaps right in but not the other way around. Good thing you tested the converter👍.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Spent today running around buying parts. First went to the transmission shop down the street to see if they had a pump bushing for a 47RE on hand. They did, and he even pressed it in and staked it for me.
View attachment 189144
I also had them check my torque converter for leaks. It was leaking at only about 20 PSI, right at the base of the drive hub. So he gave me the name the place he uses for torque converters and told me to let them know that he sent me. The place was called Top Line Converters. I called them and they had one in stock, so I drove to their shop and picked up a reman converter. They actually rebuild them right there on site, so that was kinda cool. The new one is a low(er) stall billet single disc. Should be a slight upgrade.
View attachment 189143

You have me wondering about my converter now seeing how my trans leaks even after a new input seal.

Nov 4, 2012
Yeah, supposedly the stock converters were too high of a stall. Supposedly a 48RE converter swaps right in but not the other way around. Good thing you tested the converter👍.
This one is supposed to be a hair less or on the lower end of the stock stall speed. I think the box says 47/48RE. Glad I had it checked because I'd have been pissed to find out it was the torque converter leaking after all this.
You have me wondering about my converter now seeing how my trans leaks even after a new input seal.
FWIW I couldn't see where it was leaking until he pressurized it. Hindsight is 20/20 but I should've taken pictures.

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
This one is supposed to be a hair less or on the lower end of the stock stall speed. I think the box says 47/48RE. Glad I had it checked because I'd have been pissed to find out it was the torque converter leaking after all this.

FWIW I couldn't see where it was leaking until he pressurized it. Hindsight is 20/20 but I should've taken pictures.
Metal fatigue?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I wouldn't have had the converter pressure tested. Glad you're smarter than me.

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That's all I can think of. It could've been a little out of balance and over time the fatigue caused a hairline crack.
Man, that's a new one on me Joe. I learned something. Glad you've found the issue.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor