My Dodge Truck Project (Cummins Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Haven't really done much with the truck lately, been cold and roads are covered with salt so I'm trying to keep it parked for the most part. We got around 6" of snow overnight and I hadn't started it in about a week so I couldn't resist doing a cold start. About 28°F. I had to crank it over quite a bit but it started without too much trouble. Didn't get video cranking it over, just an idle after I got it running on it's own.

Next item on the agenda for this thing is the brake master cylinder. I fixed that one brake line and I believe it was one of the few that hadn't already replaced, most of the others look relatively new. The brakes still don't feel as strong as they should even after replacing the booster that was leaking. The brake fluid is disgusting so I'll get all of that flushed out at the same time.

After that I want to address the Killer Dowel Pin. If you don't know the KDP is, it's one of the few Achilles heels of the B series. It's an alignment pin used to align the timing gear housing with the block, and over time it can rattle out and get jammed between the timing gears and the housing and break stuff.
001-cummins-killer-dowel-pin.jpg

The fix involves removing the front cover and putting a tab over the pin to prevent it from rattling out. There's a bunch of different kits out there that include the pin and the gaskets. Should not be a hard job, well worth it for the peace of mind.
1623_2765_popup.jpg

Thats all I've got for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Took the truck out for a nice ride yesterday. Before I left I used one of those cheap transfer pumps to suck out some transmission fluid. I overfilled it by about a quart when I finished up the torque converter job. I pumped the tires up as they were a bit low from sitting, and I topped off the fluids. Drove it down to the gas station and dumped half a bottle of Power Service winterizer/cetane booster in the tank and put $25 worth of diesel in it.

Today I found a rust free tailgate on Facespace Marketbook that was even the right color. I had to adjust the strikers and lube the latches but it shuts nicely now. It's got some scratches but I should be able to make it look a lot better with a da and some polish, just need a warmer day. I'd like to take that plastic trim off the bottom but I'm afraid of how faded it might be.
20220227_114146.jpg
20220227_114228.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
Did some more stuff today. I haven't been a fan of the drop-in bedliner from the start so I pulled it out and hosed all of the muck and dirt that had accumulated underneath. Broke out the handy sawzall and properly disposed of the old liner.
20220227_143916.jpg
20220227_143910.jpg

20220227_153619.jpg

This is much better to look at it. Probably just going to get a rubber bed mat.
20220228_172159.jpg
20220228_172211.jpg

I also swapped out the tailgate cables from my old tailgate to the new one. The cables that came with the new one were frayed.
20220228_172333.jpg

And I got parts in the mail today. The mirrors on this truck have annoyed me since I first bought it. They flop forward when you brake and flop backwards when you accelerate- junk. So I ordered a pair of love 'em-or-hate 'em flippy mirrors. Install was easy, I spent longer fishing out the socket I dropped in the door than I did putting the mirrors on.
20220228_154442.jpg

For Chi-com plastic they seem like decent quality. They don't rattle and the wires are of appropriate guage. The detents are tight and the plastic feels decent. The hardware was chintzy but it works.
20220228_172229.jpg

What do you think, full douchebag?
20220228_174809.jpg

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Did some more stuff today. I haven't been a fan of the drop-in bedliner from the start so I pulled it out and hosed all of the muck and dirt that had accumulated underneath. Broke out the handy sawzall and properly disposed of the old liner.
View attachment 193437 View attachment 193436
View attachment 193438
This is much better to look at it. Probably just going to get a rubber bed mat.
View attachment 193439 View attachment 193440
I also swapped out the tailgate cables from my old tailgate to the new one. The cables that came with the new one were frayed.
View attachment 193443
And I got parts in the mail today. The mirrors on this truck have annoyed me since I first bought it. They flop forward when you brake and flop backwards when you accelerate- junk. So I ordered a pair of love 'em-or-hate 'em flippy mirrors. Install was easy, I spent longer fishing out the socket I dropped in the door than I did putting the mirrors on.
View attachment 193441
For Chi-com plastic they seem like decent quality. They don't rattle and the wires are of appropriate guage. The detents are tight and the plastic feels decent. The hardware was chintzy but it works.
View attachment 193445
What do you think, full douchebag?
View attachment 193444
Sorry Joe. I hate the mirrors. Doesn't matter. It's your truck, still...

Too beaucoup! Too beaucoup! 🤣
hqdefault.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm surprised your truck didn't have these...
pictures_dodge_ram_1994_2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor