My Dodge Truck Project (Cummins Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
I wouldn't have had the converter pressure tested. Glad you're smarter than me.
I wouldn't go that far but I had either intuition or OCD telling me to get it checked.
Based on your description, did one of these marks match where the original was leaking from?

View attachment 189195
The smaller line closest to the center is where it was leaking. You really couldn't even see it unless it was pressurized. You could probably make your own tester out of a Fernco fitting, a PVC cap and a valve stem with a schrader valve. That's really all it looked like.
Man, that's a new one on me Joe. I learned something. Glad you've found the issue.
I've heard of it, never seen it though. I don't do a lot of transmission work though. The guy at the transmission shop didn't seem all that shocked by it.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I wouldn't go that far but I had either intuition or OCD telling me to get it checked.

The smaller line closest to the center is where it was leaking. You really couldn't even see it unless it was pressurized. You could probably make your own tester out of a Fernco fitting, a PVC cap and a valve stem with a schrader valve. That's really all it looked like.

I've heard of it, never seen it though. I don't do a lot of transmission work though. The guy at the transmission shop didn't seem all that shocked by it.
Probably the Diesel torque. Either way, a slightly lower stall and a better lock up clutch for towing is never a bad thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Sounds easy enough. You get this pig slammed back together yet?
For the most part. Everything is back in except the skid plate because I lost two of the nuts for it. The transfer case was a struggle to get into place just because of the weight and the awkward angle of it. I replaced the output seal on the transfer case because it was leaking before.
20211228_191234.jpg

To fill the transmission I started it and let it run for a few seconds then shut it off and added fluid and repeated. It took 13 quarts of ATF+4, plus a quart or so of Dex/Merc to top off the transfer case. I emptied out Walmart buying these and still had to go to the parts store.
20211229_131030.jpg

Before I got the chance to take it up the street and back, it blew a brake line right in the driveway.
20211229_130858.jpg

Fortunately I had a roll of steel line and I just reused the fittings. I had to loosen and tighten the line a few times to get it to stop seeping fluid but I think its good now.
20211229_142606.jpg

I bled the brakes good enough to take it around the block and so far everything seems fine. It drove okay and no leaks from the transmission that I can see.
20211229_151444.jpg

I'm hoping to finish bleeding the brakes and wrap things up tomorrow.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
If that t-case is anything like my GMs are to install, I know what you mean. Gotta clock it, c*ck it, and hold your mouth just right to get it in. You'd swear it's impossible and all of a sudden it just falls into place. Took me about 6 tries on that flipper dually of mine.

Nov 4, 2012
If that t-case is anything like my GMs are to install, I know what you mean. Gotta clock it, c*ck it, and hold your mouth just right to get it in. You'd swear it's impossible and all of a sudden it just falls into place. Took me about 6 tries on that flipper dually of mine.

Yep it's an NP241. I think one or both of my GMT400s had them. I wish they would've cast a jack pad or a flat into the bottom to make it easier to get into place.

Nov 4, 2012
Finished bleeding the brakes this morning. Nasty fluid drained out, I'll flush it eventually.
20211229_180125.jpg

Took it for a drive, got it up to temp and ran it through all the gears. Things seem to be holding okay. No weird noises or anything. The transmission is overfilled a bit so I've gotta drain a quart or so out.

Oh, one of my mud flaps tried to escape on the test drive. I got a chuckle out of it.
20211230_110410.jpg

We have to put the family dog down this evening so it's been a rough day.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Nov 4, 2012
I did some small stuff and a lot of cleaning today. I grabbed a steering wheel at the junkyard a few weeks ago. It's not perfect but it is better than what I had. And the horn works so that's a pro. New on the left and old on the right.
20211231_141704.jpg

With the steering wheel out I took the opportunity to scrub down the majority of the interior. I've been ignoring it for the most part because the driver's seat, the carpet, the headliner and the dash are all gonna need replaced eventually, but it's a lot less gross for now and presentable enough.
20211231_163353.jpg

I installed those battery hold downs I bought at the junkyard too. I like them a little better the generic parts store ones.

The high mount brake light bulbs were burnt out so I replaced them and while the lens was off, I wet sanded and polished it up. This brake light is 25 years old and isn't melted or leaking... take note Ford.
20211231_154446.jpg
20211231_160552.jpg

And I pulled the rest of the mud flaps off before they fall off. I think it looks better without them anyways. I'm not sure if the steps are staying or going. They are well made steps.
20211231_163458.jpg

Had to say goodbye to Sparky, one of our family dogs yesterday evening. He was a great dog, he had more personality than most people. Definitely gonna miss him.
20200611_131748.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor