My Dodge Truck Project (Cummins Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Plugged into the charger or the block heater? 33 seems a bit toasty to be needing the block heater.
Block heater. Mightve been even colder in the shade where its parked. These don't have glow plugs, just a grid heater (which I'm not even sure is functional) so I wasn't totally surprised.

Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Block heater. Mightve been even colder in the shade where its parked. These don't have glow plugs, just a grid heater (which I'm not even sure is functional) so I wasn't totally surprised.

I didn't know you could not have glow plugs, that's a new one on me. They must be extra cold blooded.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Going 15W40 is like glue in the cold. Our newest Freightliner's take 10W30 now, what a difference in starting in -40 over 15W40. Consider a 0W40 or 5W40 full or synthetic blend for Winter. A far as block heaters go, circulating block heaters kicked *ss on diesels. I am hesitant to run one again, a circulating block heater burnt my 94 Z71 to the ground.

Nov 4, 2012
I didn't know you could not have glow plugs, that's a new one on me. They must be extra cold blooded.
Yeah they use a grid heater in the intake and maybe a fuel bowl heater? It's definitely cold blooded.

I am hesitant to run one again, a circulating block heater burnt my 94 Z71 to the ground.

Don't tell me of such horror stories.

Only thing that sucks about 5w40 is it's expensive. And right now is sorta a weird time when one day we are down to 25°F overnight, and the next day it doesn't drop below 50°F.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Final Charge should be good without the additive, right?

If you're having trouble with cold start, almost guarantee the grid heater is inop. IIRC those have a relay or solenoid like glow plugs use.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Final Charge should be good without the additive, right?

If you're having trouble with cold start, almost guarantee the grid heater is inop. IIRC those have a relay or solenoid like glow plugs use.

Shouldn't need any kind of anti-cavitation additive because it doesn't have separate cylinder liners. I believe you can use the DCA4 additive but it doesn't need it. I know final charge is what we use to top off our two Freightliner Cascadias at work.

I think you are onto something with the grid heater. This was under the back seat when I bought it.
20211023_180425.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Shouldn't need any kind of anti-cavitation additive because it doesn't have separate cylinder liners. I believe you can use the DCA4 additive but it doesn't need it. I know final charge is what we use to top off our two Freightliner Cascadias at work.

I think you are onto something with the grid heater. This was under the back seat when I bought it.
View attachment 186710
Some of my 231 engines had the e.f.e. heaters and by a good 100-150k miles most of them were partially of not mostly melted. Picked up a couple of nos ones because I'm a glutton for punishment instead of just deleting them.

220px-EFE_heater_bottom.JPG

Not my pic, but, right part.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Tried to accomplish some stuff today. Tried.

Purchased an oil and fuel filter for it. Found Baldwin locally but next time I'm ordering Fleetguard online because these were stupid overpriced.

Changed the oil and oil filter and while it was draining I installed that relay for the heater grid. With daylight savings it was too dark to do the fuel filter so I planned on doing it tomorrow.
20211108_164822.jpg

Started it up and quickly realized I made a rookie mistake- old oil filter gasket stuck to the housing. Double gasketed. Exxon Valdez.
20211108_161548.jpg

It only ran maybe 30 seconds but it made an enormous mess. So I removed the filter, took off the second gasket and reinstalled it. I don't have enough oil on hand to fill it back up and I was kinda too pissed to keep going so I threw down all of the oil dry I had and shut the hood for the night. Didn't get to test the relay for the grid heater. Or do the fuel filter. I'll attempt the oil change sometime later this week when I'm less pissed at myself.

Reactions: 2 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Those Cummins engines should start really good in cold weather. I start 4Bt's in 0° weather in snow banks and have set for weeks. Usually with a little either. They do need the air heater. Be careful using either with an air heater. It can and will ignite the either and start the intake on fire. If that happens make sure you have the air cleaner out and keep cranking until the fire goes out. Probably should not be telling you that. 30° it should start fine. Makes me think you got other issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor