My Dodge Truck Project (Cummins Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Page 5, 95 to go. Did you try a vacuum gauge yet?

:popcorn:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I think my vacuum is an oreck but I dont see what that has to do with my suburban?
You plug the vacuum to the vacuum fitting, somewhere around the rear tire or bumper.

The fitting is a round tube, but, you may need an adapter due to differing sizes.

Once you've got the adapter and everything plugged together to turn on the vacuum before trying to start the truck. The vacuum pulls and turns the engine over like an ancillary starter motor for hard start situations.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I was curious about the "cap". We call 'em camper shells here in Texas, but cap, cover, canopy, shed, camper... they are all the same to me. I used to work for GemTop 1996-2005.

Nov 4, 2012
I was curious about the "cap". We call 'em camper shells here in Texas, but cap, cover, canopy, shed, camper... they are all the same to me. I used to work for GemTop 1996-2005.

I hear cap most often but occasionally I'll hear someone call it a camper shell. Seems to vary by region though. I don't mind the looks of them and they do have their perks but they aren't very helpful when you need a truckload of mulch or dirt, or need to get a tractor in the bed. They are also a pain to see out of, you get really good at using your mirrors when you've got a cap. I'm pretty sure the racks were added on but this one is fancy. Tinted sliding windows with screens, and carpet lined.
20211109_172645.jpg

Nov 4, 2012
Oil mess all fixed. Got more oil dry and threw it down on the driveway, drained and filled it again, used 5w40 full synthetic this time as olds307 and 403 recommended. Took 11 quarts. It seems a little louder on startup with the thinner oil but I almost expect that. She seems happy again.

Still have this to do but I'm not pushing my luck by trying to do it today.
20211109_172807.jpg

And I found this tucked under the seat. Receipt from June from the previous owner.
20211109_171337.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I hear cap most often but occasionally I'll hear someone call it a camper shell. Seems to vary by region though. I don't mind the looks of them and they do have their perks but they aren't very helpful when you need a truckload of mulch or dirt, or need to get a tractor in the bed. They are also a pain to see out of, you get really good at using your mirrors when you've got a cap. I'm pretty sure the racks were added on but this one is fancy. Tinted sliding windows with screens, and carpet lined.
View attachment 186780
Agreed on the language... I guess in some parts of the country people DO sleep back there. I've seen bed floors with carpet on them. I'd never heard it before moving south.

As far as vision goes, hardest part is keeping the glass at the cab clean. Some toppers have a gasket/seal that keeps the rain/dirt/etc out from between the two glasses but not all. But outside of that I don't find vision to be any less than my squarebody suburbans or now my gmt800 yukon xl. Yes, a capless truck has extraordinary vision. These days I like the added utility the cap gives in keeping big loads dry in the bed.

Then again, I've done two things - bought an ultra cheap ultra light topper made of single wall aluminum sheet circa 1970s/80s, and, built a homemade trailer by cutting off a 1976 c20 pickup under the cab and putting it all together. First one was a learning experience. Now making a second one that I intend to make the factory brakes functional probably using a surge activated tongue.amd the vintage topper can be lifted by a single person... unwieldy, but light.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I worked for BacPac when I was in high school. Installed back windows. Was NOT living the dream. In the NW they're canopies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor