My Dodge Truck Project (Cummins Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
In trying to keep up with the projects I can manage, I played with the Dodge today. It has been sitting for the past 4-5 weeks while I've been on the road. It was covered in dust and dirt but it started right up no issue. The inspection is expired and it will need a few things to pass. I placed an order to RockAuto for a spring shackle, an outer tie rod end, rear sway bar links and four new shocks. I went with generic Gabriel Ultra Truck shocks. It needs them, bad. Some refrigerant leaked out while the truck was parked and the AC was lukewarm at best so I added a can of R134a and it's back to where it should be. Finished by giving it a good wash to get all the grime off it and took it for a ride to blow out the cobwebs. Mirrors obviously flipped out because I'm a supertrucker now
View attachment 202277

After the regal post, I was concerned when I seen this thread updated!

False alarm!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
After the regal post, I was concerned when I seen this thread updated!

False alarm!

Fortunately this one is hanging around. It runs and drives and could even be called "reliable". That makes it worth keeping around. Plus it can run on used motor oil and French fry grease in case an apocalypse happens.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Parts (and magnets, can't forget the magnets) have been funneling in from Rockauto the past few days. I thought I was gonna be slick and replace the spring shackle without taking the bed off- wrong! No way I would've gotten it with the bed on. Fortunately the bed was easy to remove. 8 bolts, a couple wires and the filler neck and I slid it right back. Wound up being a good thing because it made the other jobs a lot easier.
20220713_173211.jpg

20220713_173155.jpg

I also replaced the rear sway bar end links which were totally shot. They should've been an easy job, except that the ball stud end was seized solid into the sway bar itself. Had to heat them up cherry red and air hammer them out. Probably wasn't great for the temper of the sway bar but I didn't see another good option. And then on the drivers side I had to drop the fuel tank to get the upper bolt out all the way. I got away with loosening just the rear tank strap and lowering the back half. Not difficult with the bed off.
20220714_170935.jpg

20220713_173128.jpg

I got four new shocks front and rear. The ones I removed had 1996 stamped on them so I'd assume they were original. They were shot, no pressure in them at all. New ones are Gabriel Ultras. They weren't the cheapest ones but not the most expensive ones either. Either way they should be a huge improvement.
20220714_144053.jpg

20220714_170947.jpg
20220714_170854.jpg

And I replaced the front right tie rod. Wound up being the easiest job of everything. New one is a Moog, fit was perfect and I got the alignment close enough for now.
20220714_171003.jpg

There is one brake line I'd like to replace in part or whole before putting the bed back on, it's very scaly. Other than that, the bed is ready to go back on and it should be ready for inspection.
20220714_170837.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Any plan to degrease and repaint that frame while it's stripped down anyways?

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
So you're not abandoning this one too?

I had Gabriels on another truck, I'd buy 'em again.
Nope, hanging on to this one. I had Monroes on my old F150. They were fine I guess. The Gabriels were cheaper for this and reviews were comparable to the Monroes.
Any plan to degrease and repaint that frame while it's stripped down anyways?
I did spray it down with Simple Green and pressure washed it. Someone at some point brushed what looks like rusty metal primer all over it. I was thinking about buying a couple really cheap black spray cans and quickly going over it if I have time.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Buy a gallon of Rustoleum - it works very well for the price over wire wheeled rust. Brush it, don't try spraying (that went poorly for me)

this was what I used. I was shocked at the coverage, durability and price.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Not knowing where you’re at (living wise) my brother has many a dodge parts rigs. He got 879,000 miles before “retiring “ his first 98’ or 99’ dodge dually Cummins 12V. The seats are one of his big things he wears out. (Even on his newest one 2014). Normal dodge seat issue is the left side cushion. You’re already up on most of the things. Watch for where they rivet the two main frame sections together. It collects sand and water that will rust them in that spot. Oil coating the frame helps A LOT! NH salts their roads.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Nope, hanging on to this one. I had Monroes on my old F150. They were fine I guess. The Gabriels were cheaper for this and reviews were comparable to the Monroes.

I did spray it down with Simple Green and pressure washed it. Someone at some point brushed what looks like rusty metal primer all over it. I was thinking about buying a couple really cheap black spray cans and quickly going over it if I have time.
Believe me, these days I get time crunch better than I ever have before. Spend too much money making up for it too.

That said, I'd try to make time for it. truck is already blown apart and in the long run, you'd be glad it got it done. Probably an extra couple hours to power wash the heck out of it then dry, maybe blow any crevices or seams with compressed air.

Even if it's still not fully dry when the bed goes on you're ahead of having not done it at all.

Reactions: 2 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Oh yah, if you hate the sway bar connectors , look for a set for a lift kit. Had them on my 4x4. It gets rid of the swivel part and you can use a GM link system. Never went bad on me again. Put 100,000+ miles on them and I don’t think the new owner will have to do them 😏

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor