My Dodge Truck Project (Cummins Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
We had heavy storms night before last and there was no sign of water intrusion. Got the dash finished up yesterday and got my pillar gauges back into place and hooked up.
View attachment 197877 View attachment 197878
I also used a little Bissell upholstery extractor on the front seat and the door panels. Pulled a gallon or two of mucky brown water out of them. I'm prbably going to replace the driver's seat at some point but they look a whole lot better for now.
View attachment 197879
And despite my efforts to seal the windshield... I think I'm gonna need to replace it anyways.
View attachment 197880
Not sure what happened. Didn't notice it until I was putting the floor mats back in earlier today. I swore a whole lot when I first saw it. It's on the inside of the glass. Not a huge deal as it is but it will probably get bigger. My insurance will cover it and my deductible is a lot less than a windshield but I'm not gonna mess with it until it gets worse.
Let me know when you are ready to sell it. 😉

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
If your Regal got this much attention it'd be done by now.

• Haha
  • Optimistic
Reactions: 6 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If your Regal got this much attention it'd be done by now.
Just because you're G Body runs and drives and looks amazing......ok, I'm depressed now.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
I still have my old Cobra 25 CB radio that was in my 1995 F150. It has been collecting dust so I decided I would try to put it in this truck.

With my old F150, I spent a lot of time and effort installing the CB wiring and antennas to keep it neat. All of the wires were hidden, zip tied, loomed, under the carpet, etc. It looked great but it took a lot of work and reception was never very good. And worse, I lost all that hard work when I sold the truck. This time I want to keep it simpler. For power I picked up a simple cigarette adapter and for an antenna I bought a Wilson 1000 magnet mount. I'm hoping it doesn't look too ridiculous; a 5' whip is gonna be tall on the roof but it's only a magnet and comes off fast. The mast can also be removed separately from the base with a tiny Allen key. It already has coax attached and should get great reception.
W1000RT.jpg

The dashboard I just installed already has holes in it, but they aren't in a very good spot to reuse for a CB and I don't want to make any more holes in it, so I had to come up with a different idea for the mount. I got on the computer and saw some people mounting them to the front of the middle seat with various brackets. So I used some scrap galvanized sheet steel and came up with this. It uses existing bolts and slips between the seat itself and the seat frame. No drilling required and it can be completely removed without a trace.
20220510_160850.jpg

20220510_161022.jpg

The radio should sit something like this.
20220510_161318.jpg

I did minimal prep work and gave it a quick coat of SEM Trim black. For a piece of scrap steel, I'm quite satisfied with it. With this setup the radio and antenna should be completely removable in minutes and ready to swap into another vehicle without making any holes in the Dodge.
20220510_165234.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
Looks like a leg slicer. I want one.

It sits pretty far from your leg. I thought it might be close but you'd almost have to be trying to cut yourself on it. Even so I was thinking about getting some of that door edge stuff to cover the sharp edge. Not sure yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Is it bouncy? It looks bouncy.

Not really. It's relatively thick steel. The antenna coax connector coming out of the back of the radio is almost touching the floor, so it can't really bounce anywhere. I'm going to get a 90° cable adapter so that it doesn't put any stress on the coax itself.

I let the paint dry overnight, I think it looks legit. This is definitely a good spot to mount a CB. The radio is well within reach and it's easy to see the channel and adjust the controls. I don't know what that SEM trim paint is made out of, but the finish is really durable and it does a great job at matching that factory black look.
20220511_151708.jpg
20220511_152945.jpg

20220511_154827.jpg

The antenna is long. Reception is great, but damn that antenna is big. It's fine for the highway but around town it would get clipped a lot. The CB is mostly useless in town anyway; every time you roll near traffic lights, the static forces you to shut it off. Wilson does make a shorter center load whip if this one gets to be too much.
20220511_155358~2.jpg

20220511_152904.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor