My El Camino is getting a 8.1/4l80 conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
looks great so far!

had always joked about putting one in regal, mainly due to the fact I can't really afford to do it, and lack of equipment to do it properly. I'm def going to keep an eye on this cool build!

8.1elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2015
Thanks. It has been a long process with a lot of new parts involved. It seems like the cheapest part was the installation. I didn't wanna do a 5.3 or 6.0 cause everyone out here does them so I figured I would try something different. There's not much info out there on the 8.1 swap in a any cars let alone a gbody so I've been getting parts as needed and making adjustments along the way.

Reactions: 1 user

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
are you running the stock front accessories? because the marine front ones are a bit closer to the block and have a bit more clearance for some fans

8.1elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2015
I'm running the truck set up. There's a lot of room. I'll get a pic next week for sure.

8.1elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2015
I have a steel two inch cowl hood. I don't really want to go with a four inch cowl so hopefully the two inch clears.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Sweet project I picked up an 8.1 that needs a couple rods and a crank. Not sure what to put it in yet

8.1elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2015
Sweet project I picked up an 8.1 that needs a couple rods and a crank. Not sure what to put it in yet
Thanks, it's going pretty good. Just getting kinda frustrated with all the parts I need. It's almost done though. Everything new from tru trac posi unit to the all aluminum radiator and Ford Taurus two speed fan. I'm super anxious to drive it.
What did you drop in your 79, I see you got the lsx intake manifold from your profile picture.
What are you gonna put the 8.1 in? I almost wish I would have went carburetor, it would of been way less complicated. And the 8.1 can take a distributor cap for the ignition system which makes it even easier then a regular ls carb swap.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
My malibu has a 6.0 ls engine. Not sure what I'm going to put it in yet. Someone was replacing the engine at work with a junkyard one and I paid the core because I've always wanted one. I think it'll end up going in either a c10 or a 80s suburban. The part that sucks is there not alot of aftermarket support for them. And the stuff that's out there is just insane in price

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor