My new project. 1985 Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvngded

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2009
Chicago
so I fianally got my camera up and running so here are the pics of the GP I bought a couple of weeks ago. I have some rust issues as you'll see, but the drivetrain is solid and most of the panels have minor rust problems. the rockers need the most attention and the rear frame is some kinda scary. the driver's side floor makes a "pong' sound when I step on it, so I think it is going to need a new set of pans. Also, the pervious owner was cleaning out the car and took the ignition key off the ring so he could let the engine warm up and then locked the key ring with the door / trunk key in the trunk after cleaning it out.
any ideas on how to get in there without popping the trunk lock?

Attachments

• DSCN0299.JPG
    DSCN0299.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,100
  • DSCN0300.JPG
    DSCN0300.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 1,084
  • DSCN0302.JPG
    DSCN0302.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 1,086

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Pull the back seat.

lvngded

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2009
Chicago
I figured I could but when I tried to pull up the bottom, it just won't budge. How does it come out?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Xamot said:
I figured I could but when I tried to pull up the bottom, it just won't budge. How does it come out?

the two seat belts near quarter panel have to be removed...they hold the metal straps for the backrest. When you get the torque bit in the bolt hit it with a hammer a few times to free up the bolt..

shotgun said:
Pull the back seat.

and get a long magnet

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
What are the plans for the frame? Are you looking at finding a donor or fixing the rails? To be honest, swapping frames isn't as bad as people may think.

lvngded

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2009
Chicago
I have a guy locally who just finished up an 85 Elkie who farms out work. He's going to replace the rail for me. I may do a full frame replacemen later on, but for now, I need to keep it so that the car is only off the road for a day or 2. I am currently looking into getting a poncho 350 and trans set-up. I have a buddy who wants the 305 in my car for his P/U and is willing to pick up the tab on the engine. I have a guy going through the car checking the rest of the frame and suspension for me. The rest of it looks good to me, but I am no expert and he is. If he gives me the green light, I'll start with the little things after the holidays.
For now, I need to figure out why my wipers don't work and fix the driver's side window motor. They won't go and it won't go down. LOL, it's the little things. BTW I see you're from my old stomping grounds. What part of the Chi are you from?

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I actually grew up in Peoria, but lived up north and on the south side since '04. I must say that I like the south side better. Much less traffic and it's easier to get around.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
those frame rails look nasty!! Hope you bring that GP back to life though.... the floorboards as rusty?

lvngded

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2009
Chicago
Well the driver side makes a "poung" sound when I step on the far left side of it. May be because of the rockers being shot it has no support, but I doubt it. The passenger side seems solid enough though. When the frame gets swapped out, I'll see about getting a set of floors welded in. This is going to be a project though, I'll have to see what my buddy has to say about the rest of the car before I make any concreate plans though.

lvngded

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2009
Chicago
Question. What year did they change the body. I ask because I can pick up a decent 81 parts car on the cheap. The frame has some surface rust, but is solid. And the body has none to speak of. What all can I use from it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor