My turbo 5.3 and 4l80e wagon build

Status
Not open for further replies.

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Man, do I ever know your pain... wiring, ewww.

Keep at it.
Haha, I actually really enjoy wiring. Sure its frustrating at times but it's extremely rewarding to me. I actually even considered maybe doing harness rework on the side but not sure yet if that' a road I want to go down yet lol

Reactions: 1 user

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
looking good, what did you do for motor mounts and cross member? I am putting a Quick 9" Ford in my El Camino build as well. They are tough to beat for the money.
I went with these for the adapter plates
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017BV5AUK/?tag=gbody-20

These for the clamshells
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...IloRRfrVRDlGDE2H3IQe-a0vnJMhhVxQaApgqEALw_wcB

And these for the frame mounts
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...8V9854wfTFCVYPEj09CzeuEyNP_adNKsaArqkEALw_wcB

As for the cross member, that will be my first self-fabricated piece. I've heard guys have modified the stockers and made them work. We'll see. I might end up making an all new one.
I'm really impressed with my QP rear so far. I only had a couple of minor issues but it's nothing that I'm mad about or worthy of bashing anyone about. It wasn't anything that I couldn't solve myself with a few extra minutes of elbow grease.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Haha, I actually really enjoy wiring. Sure its frustrating at times but it's extremely rewarding to me. I actually even considered maybe doing harness rework on the side but not sure yet if that' a road I want to go down yet lol

I enjoy it too. Granted I'm studying elecrtrical engineering so I better haha.

Its crazy to me how much custom harnesses go for. If I had more ambition I might consider doing rework myself. To charge hundreds of dollars to do some cutting, wiring, soldering, etc is just crazy to me. No disrespect to sparkys of course. Thats a whole different thing.

Really excited to see your build. Been thinking about scrapping my SBC ideas to put a simple reliable fuel injected 5.3l setup together and hope to learn some stuff from your build.

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Im not going to lie the only part I understood in that were stock and Silverado. Are you going to be reprogramming that or sending it out to have it done.
Haha it's all good. Basically the P01 was used in the early 2000s in almost all applications and was in drive by cable vehicles. I believe most P01s are Red/Blue (color of the connectors to the ECU). The other common one is the P59, which is Blue/Green and used with drive by cable and drive by wire.
I will be doing all of the tuning myself with HPtuners

Ace Burt

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2017
Texas
494D2AA8-9BA0-41AA-89D1-E6C088BCC377.jpeg
I went with these for the adapter plates
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017BV5AUK/?tag=gbody-20

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...IloRRfrVRDlGDE2H3IQe-a0vnJMhhVxQaApgqEALw_wcB

And these for the frame mounts
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...8V9854wfTFCVYPEj09CzeuEyNP_adNKsaArqkEALw_wcB

As for the cross member, that will be my first self-fabricated piece. I've heard guys have modified the stockers and made them work. We'll see. I might end up making an all new one.
I'm really impressed with my QP rear so far. I only had a couple of minor issues but it's nothing that I'm mad about or worthy of bashing anyone about. It wasn't anything that I couldn't solve myself with a few extra minutes of elbow grease.

Thanks for the info. I bought the Muscle Rods stuff and will find out how it works soon enough. Yours looks clean. My QP went in easily but getting all the pieces (brakes, lines, control arms, etc) did take some work. I went with an Eaton trutrac and 3:70’s.

Reactions: 3 users

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
View attachment 81272

Thanks for the info. I bought the Muscle Rods stuff and will find out how it works soon enough. Yours looks clean. My QP went in easily but getting all the pieces (brakes, lines, control arms, etc) did take some work. I went with an Eaton trutrac and 3:70’s.
Yeah I had to grind on the caliper support brackets to get some holes to line up right. But I'm not blaming that on QP, as the kit is most likely manufactured overseas.

Reactions: 1 user

Ace Burt

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2017
Texas
Yeah I had to grind on the caliper support brackets to get some holes to line up right. But I'm not blaming that on QP, as the kit is most likely manufactured overseas.

I found out the QA1 coil over mounting bottom shock mount brackets wont work with the Wilwood 12.19" rear discs (or any other size disc) because they wont clear the rotors. The brackets also turn the mount out toward the wheel and all the space I gained notching the frame I would have lost back to lower shock bracket placement. The QA1 tech line told me the kit was designed for the stock rear brakes and not a disc set up....who would have known.

I ended up using Spohn lower coil over mounts (built for the QA1 shocks) to make it all work. Now I have coil overs, big discs, metco billet control arms and the 9" rear and it all fits and works together. It has been a journey..

Reactions: 3 users

82_wagon

Apprentice
Mar 9, 2017
Haha it's all good. Basically the P01 was used in the early 2000s in almost all applications and was in drive by cable vehicles. I believe most P01s are Red/Blue (color of the connectors to the ECU). The other common one is the P59, which is Blue/Green and used with drive by cable and drive by wire.
I will be doing all of the tuning myself with HPtuners
Thanks for the info. I'll be watching to see how it works out. I'll probably be asking more questions as the build continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor