Need a little help with my gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazthespazz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2012
Oregon
Well, my turn signals work, not sure about the backup lights because the switch that's down low on the steering column is messed up and you used to have to wiggle it around and get in just the right place for them to come on. I've bought a new one but haven't installed it yet so I haven't messed with that since I got it back from the paint shop. I'll check that out. Could I run a wire with an inline fuse from one of the IGN connectors in the fuse box and splice it in to the wiring going to connector 16, the pink/black wire, and feed power to the gauges that way?

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Here is the thing. That 20 amp that powers the gauges supplies power to those extra taps. If you have 12 volts at those tap in points then your issue is with the pink/black wire having a break in the circuit. If you do not have 12 volts, with the key on in any of the auxiliary IGN points, again check for 12 volts on the back of the turn/back up fuse. What I'm getting at is the #3 Circuit is the main ignition power coming into the fuse block. Back probing the fuse for the turn/back up will verify 12 volts and remove the ignition switch on top of the column as being the source of the problem. This is where a simple test light would really make your job easier.

P1012214_LI.jpg

bazthespazz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2012
Oregon
I won't have a cjance to check it again until this weekend. It's dark by the time I get off work and it won't fit in my garage. I'll check that out and let you know. Thanks!

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Sounds good.

bazthespazz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2012
Oregon
OK, I finally got a chance to check it out and here's what I found: I've got power a the "gauge" fuse but not at either of the "IGN" connections. The backup/tail lights work so it sounds like I have an issue between the fuse box and the back of the gauge pod, correct?

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Ok, Actually you are back to the fuse. Do you have another 20 amp fuse to replace the one currently in the Gauges spot? The IGN spots in the fuse block are powered through that 20 amp fuse.

bazthespazz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2012
Oregon
I swapped the fuse with another 20 amp in the fuse box and also checked the fuse with my test light and it has power going through it.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Do you now have power on the IGN spots? If so check at the dash connection #16 or if your dash is back together do the gauges now work?

bazthespazz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2012
Oregon
The dash is all back together so no way to check the contact point on terminal 16 but still no power at the IGN connections. I've got some bulbs on order to upgrade my gauge lights so if they show up this week I'll be pulling the gauge pod again next week and I'll check it out then. If I've got power at terminl 16 then I'm guessing my problem is somewhere in the printed circuit,

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Yes if you have power on #16 pink/black but no gauges then the printed circuit is suspect. But......Looking again at the wire diagram the pink/black wire is the feed from your fuse block which is also tied into the IGN taps. If you do not have power across the fuse or if the contacts in the fuse holder are broken or corroded thus not transferring 12 volts from the #3 circuit to the #39 circuit that pink /black wire will remain dead. Pull the gauges fuse and check the condition of the contacts in the fuse block on the side the IGN taps are located. If corroded clean them and try the fuse back in again. You need to get a 12 volt response on the IGN side.

P1012214_LI (2).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor