Need help bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
How old is the fuel in the gas tank? Try pouring a small amount 1 to 2 oz of fresh gas in the carb and see if she fires for a quick couple of seconds. Or a few squirts of starting fluid.

Also, fuel filter replaced as part of all this work?

Is the choke working on the carb?

You say you went to leave and gave it throttle and it fell on its face. Sounds like the accelerator pump on the first carb could be bad. If it ran with the old carb, put that one back on and see if it fires.

Reactions: 1 users

Austin Monte Carlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2019
Disconnect the hot lead (pink) from the distributor. Pull the spark plug from #1. Stick you finger in the hole (no joke). Have an assistant bump the engine over with the key until you hear phew! air rushing out of that cylinder past your finger. You are then on the compression stroke on #1. Pull the distributor cap. The rotor should be pointing at the terminal for #1.
Okay I'll start with that in the morning thank you wish me luck
Disconnect the hot lead (pink) from the distributor. Pull the spark plug from #1. Stick you finger in the hole (no joke). Have an assistant bump the engine over with the key until you hear phew! air rushing out of that cylinder past your finger. You are then on the compression stroke on #1. Pull the distributor cap. The rotor should be pointing at the terminal for #1.

Austin Monte Carlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2019
How old is the fuel in the gas tank? Try pouring a small amount 1 to 2 oz of fresh gas in the carb and see if she fires for a quick couple of seconds. Or a few squirts of starting fluid.

Also, fuel filter replaced as part of all this work?

Is the choke working on the carb?

You say you went to leave and gave it throttle and it fell on its face. Sounds like the accelerator pump on the first carb could be bad. If it ran with the old carb, put that one back on and see if it fires.
5 bucks of new gas in take with fuel treatment choke is working and old carb was so bad you couldn't see threw it

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
If you want to rock an old school car, you either better know how to work on it, have a mechanic on retainer, or have a mechanic friend that can help.
3 things: fuel, air, spark. Why did you change the carb? Are the inlet and outlet on the fuel pump correct since you changed it? Many variables.......

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Take a little bit of gas and while someones cranking the car over slowly pour the gas into the carb. You dont want to use a lot. Small amount. If it starts you'll know if its not getting fuel from the pump to the carb.

• Agree

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Sorry guys for the late response I'm 17 cars been sitting for a couple years I've had it running but never left the driveway with it no it's not out of gas and sorry but she's not for sale I've had this car since I was 6 years old family owned car regularly kept up mantiance the cars not toast it don't even have 70,000 miles its been my dream to get her on the road
Like I said, find a family friend or a shop that can help you.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If your school district or community college has an auto tech program, enroll. That's where I started.

Agree, check the timing is right. At #1 top-dead-center, there is a groove on the balancer and there is a timing pointer - they should be aligned. The cube on the side of the Distributor cap is typically between 2-3 o'clock when looking at it from the front. Underneath, the rotor will be pointing between 3-4 o'clock. The first pin after cube is typically #1, and #1 spark plug is driver's side front.

Um, to be clear, put your finger over the spark plug hole, not into it...

Reactions: 4 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Don't put your finger in the hole, just over it. Don't put a paper towel or anything in there either, it can get sucked in on the downstroke. Take the driver's side valve cover off. Get the #1 cylinder (usually the driver's side front-most cylinder) on the compression stroke. It will be after the intake valve closes but before the exhaust valve opens. If you don't know which valve is which, the exhaust valve will be almost directly inline with the front most port of the exhaust manifold. Intake of course will be the next closest one to it. The exhaust valve will most likely be the one closest to the front of the engine.

(picture)

dart.png

4 stroke engines operate as such:

Suck (Intake)
Squeeze (compression)
Bang (ignition)
Blow (exhaust)

in that order.

The rotor tang (metal bit) needs to be either pointing directly at, or on it's way to pointing to whatever terminal the #1 sparkplug wire is attached to. If the rotor isn't pointing to it, take the distributor out and reposition it. You may need to stick a long screwdriver down the hole to turn the oil pump drive shaft so it will drop in. The gears are helical cut, so it will turn while putting it in. Put it in a little before #1 and it should shift and face #1 dead on.

Providing it runs after that, you may need to change some spark plug wires around again. Make sure #1 wire goes to #1 terminal, and follow the firing order, 18436572 CLOCKWISE around the cap. It's a small block chevy, so it uses damn near the same firing order as almost every v8 Chevrolet.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor