Need help w/ a few things! 🙏 TBI conversion to Carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
So, it doesn't appear that I have too much disconnected, etc. I took photos of everything I could find. Still not having any luck with seeing any numbers on the block 😒. I'll be checking the heads hopefully tomorrow - to see what they are, and hopefully tell if I have a roller or flat tappet. 🤔

Again, seems all they did was take off the old (newer) TBI setup and put on an intake and carburetor.

Here are some photos of plugged hoses and disconnected wires if anyone can help. I also have a photo if the carb. (info on the carb., trans., and intake are posted above). There is a plate missing. Guy said it was the choke.

The engine seems/sounds good, revs hard when just sitting in park. 🤔 I did notice that the carb is getting more air when I disconnect the air cleaner hose.. but I suppose that is normal? Anyhow, off to get some vacuum test gages and I still need to attempt the timing today. Here are the photos I have:
Pic 1. Drivers side single wire dark green = temp sending unit to gauge.

Pic 2. Yellow and black wire half ripped out of thermostat neck is temp sending unit to computer.

Pic 3. 3 of the 4 below are in the pic.
A) Pink with black stripe wire and Light blue wire = Carb air fuel solenoid.
B) Pink with black stripe wire and brown wire = Air diverter solenoid
C) Pink with black stripe wire and green with yellow stripe wire = carburetor air purge solenoid
D) Pink with black stripe wire and grey wire = EGR solenoid.

Pic 4. No Idea what is in the pic.

Pic 5. I think that is port J depending on engine that can go to EGR/ purge/TCC/TVS or ?. Probably went to all those missing solenoids first. Is the vacuum diagram sticker still there?

Carb is missing the choke blade.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

MonteLS_84

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2021
Pic 1. Drivers side single wire dark green = temp sending unit to gauge.

Pic 2. Yellow and black wire half ripped out of thermostat neck is temp sending unit to computer.

Pic 3. A) Pink with black stripe wire and Light blue wire = Carb air fuel solenoid.
B) Pink with black stripe wire and brown wire = Air diverter solenoid
C) Pink with black stripe wire and green with yellow stripe wire = carburetor air purge solenoid
D) Pink with black stripe wire and grey wire = EGR solenoid.

Pic 4. No Idea what is in the pic.

Pic 5. I think that is port J depending on engine that can go to EGR/ purge/TCC/TVS or ?. Probably went to all those missing solenoids first. Is the vacuum diagram sticker still there?

Carb is missing the choke blade.
First, I want to say thank you for taking the time to respond. A huge help! 🙏

Pic 1. Temp send - What does that connect to?

Pic 2. I assume that is for TBI, and can be disconnected?

Pic 3. A, B, and C need to connect somewhere (know where?), and D is EGR related, so leave unplugged?

Pic 4. Sending a clearer pic. It's a round plastic piece with an outlet. Bottom of engine, near trans. Doesn't seem to really connect to much but the better photo may help.

Pic 5. No vacuum sticker...but there is something attached to the intake that has a hole that I noticed...and it's close in proximity. That hose is coming off of an outlet on the carb. Attaching better photo.

*Choke blade is off. Seller made me aware of that. Said it's not needed if only driving in warm weather. 🤔

Attachments

• 20210729_170121.jpg
    20210729_170121.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
  • 20210729_170522.jpg
    20210729_170522.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
  • 20210729_171839.jpg
    20210729_171839.jpg
    902.8 KB · Views: 92

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
First, I want to say thank you for taking the time to respond. A huge help! 🙏

Pic 1. Temp send - What does that connect to?
To a temperature sending unit installed in the side of the driver side head or water neck or intake manifold.
Pic 2. I assume that is for TBI, and can be disconnected?
No it is for the electronic controlled quadrajet.
Pic 3. A, B, and C need to connect somewhere (know where?), and D is EGR related, so leave unplugged?
Those appear to be missing. (Like the choke blade you didn't need them),
Pic 4. Sending a clearer pic. It's a round plastic piece with an outlet. Bottom of engine, near trans. Doesn't seem to really connect to much but the better photo may help.
Kinda looks like the vacuum actuator for the exhaust system. (closes off the one manifold to force the exhaust to go thru the intake for faster warm up. Think on the vacuum diagram it is called EFE.
Pic 5. No vacuum sticker...but there is something attached to the intake that has a hole that I noticed...and it's close in proximity. That hose is coming off of an outlet on the carb. Attaching better photo.
Looks like a temperature controlled vacuum switch, some of the vacuum hose nightmare. Still not sure about which vacuum port on the QJ, likely J. Keep in mind all that stuff goes thru thermal vacuum switches and computer controlled solenoids before it goes to any of that stuff. (This was the mid 80s vacuum hoses were at peak ridiculousness. If you really want to see a nightmare look at a honda from this time.)
*Choke blade is off. Seller made me aware of that. Said it's not needed if only driving in warm weather. 🤔
And it never rains in the desert so you don't need windshield wipers, and them brakes just need bleedin and lots of other BS I have herd from used car crooks.

The quadrajet might be the one off the original 305 it date codes to 1984 and a chevy. see: Quadrajet: Number Identification Guide

The computer is also controlling the lockup in the transmission IF the original 350c is in it. It will not lock up when the engine is cold.

3 ways to tell a c from a regular TH350. 1) Has wire connector on drivers side. 2) Has large speedometer adaptor old 350 was steel and about 1" in diameter the 350c is like 2.5" and made of aluminum or plastic. 3) should have a universal bellhousing.

Last edited:

MonteLS_84

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2021
To a temperature sending unit installed in the side of the driver side head or water neck or intake manifold.

No it is for the electronic controlled quadrajet.

Those appear to be missing. (Like the choke blade you didn't need them),

Kinda looks like the vacuum actuator for the exhaust system. (closes off the one manifold to force the exhaust to go thru the intake for faster warm up. Think on the vacuum diagram it is called EFE.

Looks like a temperature controlled vacuum switch, some of the vacuum hose nightmare. Still not sure about which vacuum port on the QJ, likely J. Keep in mind all that stuff goes thru thermal vacuum switches and computer controlled solenoids before it goes to any of that stuff. (This was the mid 80s vacuum hoses were at peak ridiculousness. If you really want to see a nightmare look at a honda from this time.)

And it never rains in the desert so you don't need windshield wipers, and them brakes just need bleedin and lots of other BS I have herd from used car crooks.

The quadrajet might be the one off the original 305 it date codes to 1984 and a chevy. see: Quadrajet: Number Identification Guide

The computer is also controlling the lockup in the transmission IF the original 350c is in it. It will not lock up when the engine is cold.

3 ways to tell a c from a regular TH350. 1) Has wire connector on drivers side. 2) Has large speedometer adaptor old 350 was steel and about 1" in diameter the 350c is like 2.5" and made of aluminum or plastic. 3) should have a universal bellhousing.
Going to check a few of these items now. Local NAPA didn't have the gages I needed (vac), and I have a friend more familiar with timing coming by tomorrow, so not attempting that yet.

I'm confused when I keep seeing people say "computer". I was under the impression that this 84 had no sort of computer controlling anything. 🤔 Thinking if the torque converter here..

Also, I'm under the impression that the gage cluster was changed. The seller sent me this in regards to explaining why the temp was disconnected, and why my oil pressure light and check engine light is on:

"The sending unit for the temperature and the oil pressure are for gauges. And unplugged they work in Reverse of the ones for lights. So if you're going to keep those lights in and not change to the gauges then you would need to change both the sending units and plug them back in. The one for the oil also is for the choke which I know there is no power to the choke wire that may be turning it on as well"

*I wanted to run that by you guys as well...because I'm ot sure if it makes sense to me. 🥴

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Lets try a few more questions.

How many wires does the distributor have? 2 or 6?

Does it have an O2 sensor? A purple wire for one?

There are differences between a California car and a federal one.

From the pics and the color of the wires and you saying it has a check engine light I think it is a CA car with a full computer setup? Only a computer car has all those pink with black stripe wires by this wiring diagram.

Also thinking if it is frankensteined enough it might be better to just make it a no computer car and you can forget most of this stuff.

Long day so a Duuuuu moment! Take off the passenger side kick panel and see if there is a computer in there.

MonteLS_84

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2021
Lets try a few more questions.

How many wires does the distributor have? 2 or 6?

Does it have an O2 sensor? A purple wire for one?

There are differences between a California car and a federal one.

From the pics and the color of the wires and you saying it has a check engine light I think it is a CA car with a full computer setup? Only a computer car has all those pink with black stripe wires by this wiring diagram.

Also thinking if it is frankensteined enough it might be better to just make it a no computer car and you can forget most of this stuff.

Long day so a Duuuuu moment! Take off the passenger side kick panel and see if there is a computer in there.
The car itself doesn't have a computer (as far as I know - will check panel just to be sure) - the 350 that got put in it came out of a truck (95 TBI?) that did have a computer, so it has all of the computer related wiring attached to it (some of which is disconnected).

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
As far as I've read, YES! Just not sure if this intake 14057053 is suitable. 🤔
That casting number crosses with '80-'85 SBC. Look at how the four middle bolts of the intake are positioned. '85 & older will be at a angle, most '86 & up will be flat/level, later/end of production use SBC's may not have any.

MonteLS_84

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2021
That casting number crosses with '80-'85 SBC. Look at how the four middle bolts of the intake are positioned. '85 & older will be at a angle, most '86 & up will be flat/level, later/end of production use SBC's may not have any.
I was just reading from motortrend how my alleged heads would need a special intake. I agree with you...the intake seems from 85 down. The heads, however, seem (should be) 85 and up.

As I was typing, the seller just confirmed:

"Yes the older style engines had all angled bolts on the intake the center to you drill out so that the bolts go straight down and they work just fine I've done it on about three of them now with no issues. So it is the new style motor with the old style intake with the bolthole modified"

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor