Never ending project

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtywhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2009
Mount Solon, VA
Ah thanks guys.....you give me too much credit. My dad can do this stuff bilndfolded while sleep walking. Me on the other hand, I'm just too stubborn or stuipd to quit beating my head on the wall. Seriously this is only my 4th complete paint job, it is all about the sweat for us mortals.

Jack, I was much closer to my dad's shop then. I used his english wheel and then a bead roller to make a lip that fit into the ledge. I drilled holes into the lip and "plug welded" it in place. I don't remember if it was 16 or 18 ga, but with the contour it was plenty stiff. I also used kitty hair for the first coat of mud and tried to seal it on the back as best as I could...and weld through primer on the back too

One word of warning on the gate, I have had a b*tch of a time getting the latches and rubbers and all to allign and the glass to latch. I suspect I got it too hot while welding and caused it to draw. It was painted before I noticed....FYI

dirtywhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2009
Mount Solon, VA
One more pic and I've got to go shower!!! 8:34 central time and still 85 in the garage :shock:

I got the ends of the bumper tacked on. It is starting to look too much like a roll pan, but I guess it will do. Still looks better than sticking out 4 inches on both sides I guess.

CIMG0264.jpg

CIMG0267.jpg

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Looks great!

dirtywhiteboy said:
...It is starting to look too much like a roll pan...

Roll pans look rediculous on wagons if you ask me (nobody did :lol:), and your modified bumper still looks like enough of a bumper to make the grade! A+!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
[quote="dirtywhiteboy"

Jack, I was much closer to my dad's shop then. I used his english wheel and then a bead roller to make a lip that fit into the ledge. I drilled holes into the lip and "plug welded" it in place. I don't remember if it was 16 or 18 ga, but with the contour it was plenty stiff. I also used kitty hair for the first coat of mud and tried to seal it on the back as best as I could...and weld through primer on the back too

One word of warning on the gate, I have had a b*tch of a time getting the latches and rubbers and all to allign and the glass to latch. I suspect I got it too hot while welding and caused it to draw. It was painted before I noticed....FYI[/quote]
========================================================================================================
Brian,
Thanks for the heads up on potential overheating of the metal. I actually cut out a piece of 18 ga. metal to fit in the license plate cavity. An English wheel would have come in handy to put a slight curve in the metal to conform to the tailgate.
I suppose a planishing hammer and bag would do it...but I don't own those either.. :? I guess I'll have to improvise.
Plug welding the metal together is a good idea.

I was concerned about moisture getting between the overlapped metal edge. I guess that's one of the reasons why I ran the question(s) by you. I would try to seal the joints as best as I can. It would piss me off if it rust bubbles appeared around the edge at a later time.

Thanks for posting pics of the rear of your car. It looks absolutely stunning. I'm totally envious. A cheesy rollpan can't hold a candle to your modded rear bumper.

dirtywhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2009
Mount Solon, VA
did a little more today. Not too happy with it but it will get bolted on tomorrow anyway. It looks like the little bit of paint I didn't strip off might have been lacquer. It is trying to check in a few spots even through the epoxy sealer :roll: oh well the hood needs some more work anyway.....especially if I find a cowl induction hood 8)

Once this is on I will get the front bumper fitted up then blast and paint both bumpers

CIMG0277.jpg

dirtywhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2009
Mount Solon, VA
What do you think about the black grill....I think I like it

anyone have a set of rear glass hinges? With or without the wing.

DSC_0623.jpg

DSC_0627.jpg

DSC_0620.jpg

DSC_0618.jpg

DSC_0615.jpg

DSC_0613.jpg

85Supreme

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2009
i like the black grille. looks great :D

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Brian,
The car looks great. I'm jealous.. :mrgreen: The grille painted black looks good. It goes with the program.
Are you going to paint the bumpers, or chrome them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor