New disc brake squealing

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Hey guys i have new disc brakes all the way around on my 78 malibu. They work fantastic but make a little noise when driving and then squeal pretty loud when braking. There is no rubbing that i can find. I did not use any lubricant on the pins or the baking plates on the basis that its a fair weather car and grease will just attract dirt, but its driving me crazy and wondering if thats why they are squealing

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
The Caliper Pins have little Boots on them so not sure why you wouldn't grease them. Supposed to anyway, helps them wear correctly. Grease the steel side of the Pads that ride on the Caliper Piston.

Reactions: 3 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
The Caliper Pins have little Boots on them so not sure why you wouldn't grease them. Supposed to anyway, helps them wear correctly. Grease the steel side of the Pads that ride on the Caliper Piston.
Ok i will give that a shot. Thanks

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Well i went for a quick rip last night after greasing everything up. Squealing seems to be gone, but Im still getting a lot of noise from rear brakes when not braking. Everything’s new and appears to be in good working order. I believe there to be no brake drag and only resistance from rear end/driveshaft etc. Nothing seems to be rubbing. When driving, the goes away immediately when applying brakes, even just touching the pedal. … ?

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
I have gotten great results using this product. I've only used the aerosol as it does come in brush-on and "ketchup" packet version, too.
82c9b31f-6720-4e03-a2a8-36097b4f3599_1.ea417cf3056ff5a74da943673df4209e.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Are the calipers centered over the disc?
By eye, they seem to be. How do i know for sure / is there a way to shim? Thought they were self aligning to an extent.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Well i went for a quick rip last night after greasing everything up. Squealing seems to be gone, but Im still getting a lot of noise from rear brakes when not braking. Everything’s new and appears to be in good working order. I believe there to be no brake drag and only resistance from rear end/driveshaft etc. Nothing seems to be rubbing. When driving, the goes away immediately when applying brakes, even just touching the pedal. … ?
Just a question - are you sure it's the brakes, and not a u-joint or even a wheel bearing?

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Just a question - are you sure it's the brakes, and not a u-joint or even a wheel bearing?
I am pretty sure its the brakes cause the noise disappears as soon as i touch the pedal. Every single time. U joints are new, rear end is all new rebuild as well

Edit ... also lots of brake dust on rear wheels. Wondering if the noise is due to brake in. These are cheap disc brake conversion kit. They do work great however. Look to be the same calipers as the fronts.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor