New engine no start issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Followed instructions, went back out, started from scratch, starting with backing the idle screw all the way out until it was just barely touching the throttle, and then working it in until the engine was just barely able to self-sustain, then working the idle fuel mixture screws from driver to passenger, back to driver, then passenger, screwing them in until the engine just about sputtered out, then going back until maximum RPM was achieved, then, as the engine warmed up, I set the idle speed at approximately 850 RPM and started going back and forth between adjusting the distributor and checking my static advance with the vacuum port plugged and the canister disconnected.

In the end, I was able to achieve 13 BTDC at 825 RPM (Using an old Sears Engine analyzer tool, so it was more or less an approximation) and maximum mechanical advance was right on the money 34 BTDC reached at about 3200RPM-3400RPM (I was going between watching the RPM on the analyzer and watching the timing mark so the exact point at which it reached maximum advance was at some point within that RPM range) and I went all the way up to about 4000RPM with no further advance. I don't think I'm gonna mess with it any further except if I feel like it could use some improvement performance wise.

Took me about half an hour to forty five minutes to do, mostly because I'm not as experienced, and also because I made it a point to start from dead scratch instead of trying to build on what I'd already done. All I have to do now is move the Caprice that's in back of it out of the way, and take it for a spin to see how it behaves on the road. But, I'm gonna do that tomorrow because I've got a few things to cinch up before I do that, and I also want to do a thorough double check on everything before I actually put it on the road where other people will be. Mostly a walk around to make sure nothing is leaking, a few up and downs with the shifter to make sure it's where it's supposed to be, and cleaning out the car so nothing is flying around while I'm driving.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor