New engine no start issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Gonna go take a whack at this again tomorrow, but so far I've had no luck getting the new Blueprint 383 I got for my wagon to start.

Made the dummy checks first of course... it's not 180 out, and the plugs are getting spark (at least according to my spark tester). Timing WAS advanced by quite a lot at first, but now it's within a few degrees of being right on what Blueprint calls for at 13-16 degrees BTDC.

What it keeps doing, is that the starter will turn and turn and turn, and suddenly it'll sputter, wheeze, pop, and slow down the starter. I've had a couple of gnarly backfires, and the only thing I can think of is that the fuel is no good or the fuel pump (brand new Edelbrock) for some reason isn't working properly. I tried putting a small amount of fuel directly into the bowl through the vent hole, but it still didn't want to start.

Any ideas?

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Roll the engine to top dead center, pull #1 plug out to make sure. Pull distributor cap off and make sure the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug wire terminal. Sounds like it may be a tooth off or the wires are a terminal off.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Couple other things I've noticed: backfires smell downright awful. Like a lawnmower when you bring it out of winter storage. I took the fuel line off and tried vacuuming out some of the gas with a hand pump and it seemed to smell alright and it's definitely flammable. I tested that with a steel ash tray, a lighter, a fire extinguisher, and plenty of space between that and anything flammable.

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Roll the engine to top dead center, pull #1 plug out to make sure. Pull distributor cap off and make sure the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug wire terminal. Sounds like it may be a tooth off or the wires are a terminal off.
Couldn't hurt to try, that's for sure.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Not sure how olds or Buick do stuff but Chevy's rotor goes clockwise. 18436572 firing order.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It's got to be the timing, even with bad gas it would run but not well. I hope you have a roller cam in that engine

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
You will also want take make sure nothing is mucked up on your primary side of the carburetor. While cranking the engine, make sure that you don't have to much fuel squirting out on the primary side. I've seen this issue after the install on a new engine where something went wrong on the rebuild of the carb for the new engine and the engine fails to start due to flooding.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor