New here

Status
Not open for further replies.

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
welp I torched them off. Got them off, and one head off. I didn't know some 305s came with flat top pistons?
Alot of them did ,you probably got a "HO" motor that's what a ss should have had so that explains them flat tops, installing a big block will take car of them manifold bolts also

rustydustydoc

Apprentice
Nov 28, 2019
Anything with compression is a better engine

It seems to have a lot of compression even with it running as rough as it was. I will finish getting heads off and clean the motor the best I can. This motor had acorns, sludge and dirt in the motor. Not bad, but you can tell it leaked or burned oil and they just poured a quart in it at a time. My guess is it had a valve cover leak, considering all the oil on the bottom of the valve cover near the exhaust manifold. I'm willing to bet once I get it back together, it'll run damn near perfect. Hopefully I didn't mess anything up with the wiring, they were old and brittle.

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
It seems to have a lot of compression even with it running as rough as it was. I will finish getting heads off and clean the motor the best I can. This motor had acorns, sludge and dirt in the motor. Not bad, but you can tell it leaked or burned oil and they just poured a quart in it at a time. My guess is it had a valve cover leak, considering all the oil on the bottom of the valve cover near the exhaust manifold. I'm willing to bet once I get it back together, it'll run damn near perfect. Hopefully I didn't mess anything up with the wiring, they were old and brittle.
Your be the first to know if you messed anything up keep at it good luck and don’t forget the zinc oil

rustydustydoc

Apprentice
Nov 28, 2019
Alot of them did ,you probably got a "HO" motor that's what a ss should have had so that explains them flat tops, installing a big block will take car of them manifold bolts also

This is the first for me seeing a 305 with flat tops. I've had a few and never seen it, usually one of the give away's for me if I'm looking at a short block. As for a big block I have no desire or interest for that lol. I had a bad experience with one that I put into a 82 chevy short wide. Although it was a torquey monster and quick for a stock 454, it caused more problems and money converting that truck to a big block then it was worth it. I soon sold the truck because of the headache. I told myself id never do it again.

rustydustydoc

Apprentice
Nov 28, 2019
Alright so I changed the head, was in the process of changing both sides but couldn't get to the bottom head bolts on the passenger side. Since nothing was wrong with that side I left it alone. Not proud of it but don't want to dig to deep into a motor I don't plan on keeping forever. Put all back together, different intake and distributor that I had and a holley carb. Fired right up when I got it all back together, ran the valves, runs great and smooth. I then fill it up with water and antifreeze and eventually notice a heavy leak in front of the motor. I have no idea where its coming from and I never noticed it leaking before I changed the head. From what I can tell nothing is leaking around the head or intake, but around the water pump or behind some where. I crawled under the car while running and all I can see is antifreeze pouring down the timing chain cover and harmonic balancer. Any one else have this problem? is it a freeze plug, or what?

rustydustydoc

Apprentice
Nov 28, 2019
I think I narrowed it done to the water pump. It just seemed to be pouring way to much out to be the weep hole IMO but after doing some research, it doesn't seem uncommon

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor