CUTLASS New user: 1984 Hurst/Olds in Maryland

Maryland G-man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Supporting Member
May 12, 2023
Hello folks,

I just picked up a 1984 Hurst/Olds from Michigan. Drove it home to Maryland.

Hope to see some folks at the GM Nationals in Carlisle, PA on June 24, and then at the Hurst/Olds Club meeting in Gettysburg, PA on the weekend of July 29.

As I learn from this forum, I will update/upgrade the car for what makes sense. That means what improvements could or would be done to the engine, exhaust, suspension, brakes, wheels, and stereo.

It is a 58,000 mile, 3 owner car that would best be described as an unrestored, unmolested original. So, at this point, I am hesitant to immediately change too much.

I paid $ 28 k for the car. Judging from the condition in, out, and the underside, I am happy with the purchase. Plus, I drove it sight unseen (except for photos) from the Detroit dealer to my home here in Maryland, near Baltimore. The car drove perfectly...that alone made it a worthwhile acquisition.

Attachments

• Falling Branch 1.jpg
    Falling Branch 1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 81
  • Lightning Rods.jpg
    Lightning Rods.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 80
  • McDs.jpg
    McDs.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 80
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 78
  • sold.jpeg
    sold.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 77
Reactions: 10 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Congrats! on the purchase? Which number you got?

Silver ringed horn cap (the big one) or the small one without the ring? Trying to zero in on a good VIN break for the "early" vs. "late" production changes. Somewhere in early January-ish time frame. Don't know which was first or happened at the same time. The big horn cap and/or the newfangled belt routing (with the 2 sheave PS pulley).

Reactions: 2 users

Maryland G-man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Supporting Member
May 12, 2023
Congrats! on the purchase? Which number you got?

Silver ringed horn cap (the big one) or the small one without the ring? Trying to zero in on a good VIN break for the "early" vs. "late" production changes. Somewhere in early January-ish time frame. Don't know which was first or happened at the same time. The big horn cap and/or the newfangled belt routing (with the 2 sheave PS pulley).

Thank you for the welcome. I respect your attention to these details.

The last 6 digits of the VIN: 463169.

Build date: March, 1984

Two sheaves PS pulley.

I guess this is the "big" horn cap?

Please see extra photos attached.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
  • PS belts 2.jpg
    PS belts 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
  • PS belts.jpg
    PS belts.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 67
  • steering wheel.jpg
    steering wheel.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
These cars are worth good money finally, leave it stock. Nice car, my favorite 80's Olds.

Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yup. You got the big cap. Your car is pushing the end of the line. Production run for the Hurst/Olds ended March 10, 84.

Looks like you could use an air cleaner decal and new emission decal.

Reactions: 4 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Congratulations, drive it and enjoy it. I can see you have the optional block heater.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I had a similar story with my 442. Picked it up in Ohio and drove back to Md.

Nice ride there! I'll be at the GM Nats too (the event gets smaller and smaller each year :()

Hutch

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hello folks,

I just picked up a 1984 Hurst/Olds from Michigan. Drove it home to Maryland.

Hope to see some folks at the GM Nationals in Carlisle, PA on June 24, and then at the Hurst/Olds Club meeting in Gettysburg, PA on the weekend of July 29.

As I learn from this forum, I will update/upgrade the car for what makes sense. That means what improvements could or would be done to the engine, exhaust, suspension, brakes, wheels, and stereo.

It is a 58,000 mile, 3 owner car that would best be described as an unrestored, unmolested original. So, at this point, I am hesitant to immediately change too much.

I paid $ 28 k for the car. Judging from the condition in, out, and the underside, I am happy with the purchase. Plus, I drove it sight unseen (except for photos) from the Detroit dealer to my home here in Maryland, near Baltimore. The car drove perfectly...that alone made it a worthwhile acquisition.
Beautiful car!

Reactions: 1 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Welcome to the GBodyForum!
Nice Hurst/Olds. When your car is that nice and that stock you kinda have to leave it as is. It is a very nice time capsule. Be circumspect as to what you do to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Welcome from another new member! That is an absolutely gorgeous piece of art you're driving.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor