New Vehicles Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
My regrets with our 10-15 year old daily drivers is that I can’t buy a brand-new one just like each one. Designers for today’s cars are heaping on ugly ‘angry car’ black plastic front and rear, ‘because that’s what consumers want’. Bleh.

Why do I need a TV in the middle of my dash? It belongs in the living room, not where it can distract me from looking out for the drivers looking at their phones.

Ditto.

What scares me on cars that rely on touch screens for major controls is what happens when the touch screen dies and the car is 15-20 years old? At least on an older car the headlight switch, HVAC, and radio were separate and the car wasn't disabled if one goes down and it's relatively easy/low cost to replace. Will it need to get towed to a repair shop when it dies?

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Ditto.

What scares me on cars that rely on touch screens for major controls is what happens when the touch screen dies and the car is 15-20 years old? At least on an older car the headlight switch, HVAC, and radio were separate and the car wasn't disabled if one goes down and it's relatively easy/low cost to replace. Will it need to get towed to a repair shop when it dies?
Don't most starting circuits tie into that as in most cars the infotament system is part of the main computer. So wouldn't it kill the whole vehicle too?

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Cars are not cars, they are computer platforms on wheels. The screen is probably around a few grand, it's the modules that power it that must be a fortune. I won't touch anything in my 2020 Audi S5, there isn't even an oil dip stick , the battery has to be programed into the car and so on! My 09 CTS-V has had the check engine light on since new, dealer tried for years to figure out why it comes on. Never fixed after all these years. I've ignored it forever. Runs great. Got tired of them diagnosing the car for days and never fixing the $$$$ light! When Dad heard a noise in the car he would turn up the volume on the radio AM station or tap the gage that wasn't reading right:) Does anyone know a good vacuum cleaner repairman?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Ditto.

The Hell Kitty did an over the air (OTA) update to its UConnect software the day I pulled it out. Came out to the car yesterday to do a daycare pick up run found the SRT pages had a whole bunch of new looks and features.that weren't there last Fall.

I cannot wait for the OTA update that renders the car inoperable and bricks the car right around the time Dodge feels I need a new car.

I am actively building a cache of software and hardware that will allow me to disable or delete the factory influence from the equation.

It is also why I went with a manual transmission... I can put a TH400 in this thing anytime I want and it won't even notice.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Honda has a model or two that utilizes bluetooth components such as light bulbs, speakers, power windows, etc. The wiring is extremely simple - power and ground. Hook to the ecm and see what's not connected or developed an error message.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The Hell Kitty did an over the air (OTA) update to its UConnect software the day I pulled it out. Came out to the car yesterday to do a daycare pick up run found the SRT pages had a whole bunch of new looks and features.that weren't there last Fall.

I cannot wait for the OTA update that renders the car inoperable and bricks the car right around the time Dodge feels I need a new car.

I am actively building a cache of software and hardware that will allow me to disable or delete the factory influence from the equation.

It is also why I went with a manual transmission... I can put a TH400 in this thing anytime I want and it won't even notice.
Better stash backups of your backups, just in case.

The trend down here in the states with the social/political agendas is to outlaw and go after companies that are selling software and devices that enable reprogramming the computers, particularly concerning fuel patterns as they impact emissions.

I suspect it won't be long before any of that technology is banned from the public unless you have a license, and possibly that your modifications bear some identifying info as to who made them under their license.

Then, as you know, once something happens for the automakers in the states that gets them greater control/profits, they try to force it into Canada a few years later (usually successfully.)

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

The trend down here in the states with the social/political agendas is to outlaw and go after companies that are selling software and devices that enable reprogramming the computers, particularly concerning fuel patterns as they impact emissions.

I suspect it won't be long before any of that technology is banned from the public unless you have a license, and possibly that your modifications bear some identifying info as to who made them under their license.

Then, as you know, once something happens for the automakers in the states that gets them greater control/profits, they try to force it into Canada a few years later (usually successfully.)

The stuff I am looking at doesn't come from this continent.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Honda has a model or two that utilizes bluetooth components such as light bulbs, speakers, power windows, etc. The wiring is extremely simple - power and ground. Hook to the ecm and see what's not connected or developed an error message.

That's the thing that gets me... we have the means to build anything we want. Holley just sells you something you could build yourself from parts off Amazon (Megasquirt). People who program things are EVERYWHERE...

I am sure I can figure it out.

The rest is just suck/squirt, squish, bang, blow.

Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO

There's also a huge "right to repair" movement going on, mainly in response to manufacturers trying to lock up their goods so you can't actually fix or modify anything. From farm equipment, cars, computers, cell phones, kitchen appliances, you name it.

I want to say there was a fairly high-profile case not that long ago but I'll be #$^@ if I can remember the details. Must be getting old or something. I know that a lot of new farm machinery you have no choice but to get the local JD or MF tech to come out and interface with your computer to fix things... on farm equipment that's just stupid.

Another problem is that "fixing something" used to be pretty simple, you could do it in your backyard under a tree with a basic set of hand tools. Now you actually *need* to know a thing or two about electronics, computers, programming, etc. AND you often need specific tools... scopes, soldering equipment, code readers, etc. to fix stuff. The barrier to entry is considerably higher and requires specialized knowledge.

Politics/Agenda doesn't have much to do with it. If you can provide references saying otherwise I'll listen. "They're gonna come for your repair info" is a pretty big stretch.

But yeah, I hate "sealed" transmissions, planned obsolescence, and proprietary info as much as the next guy. At the same time its pretty !#$@#^$ cool to hook up a bluetooth OBD2 scanner to your car and monitor an entire screen full of sensors while you're driving down the road to figure out which O2 sensor is causing a problem, monitor F/A ratios, or to find out what temperature your car actually runs at. I mean while someone else is driving, of course, not that I've ever done that or anything. :whistle:

manifesto_en_final.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor