Newbie from Port Orchard Washington, sunroof repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2014
Hello from Washington State. I have a 1983 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham, 2nd owner, with full options including the factory Astro Roof. I have started to have water leak problems and have purchased the replacement seals from GBodyParts. Now I need to find someone who is experienced in working on these types of Sunroofs. Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
Welcome to the site! Where abouts in Port Orchard are you? I also live in PO, well Manchester technically..

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Welcome to the site man! As for your roof im sure someone here can help lol

OldGG

Apprentice
Oct 11, 2013
WA
I'm in PO also off mile hill, I put a new sun roof in my El Camino but it is a after-mark one.

OldGG

Apprentice
Oct 11, 2013
WA
Oh I have a Fisher Body service manual for 79 if that would be of any help.

Jun 17, 2014
Wow, you guys are great. Was surprised to learn of two members just down the road from me. I live just south of the Fred Meyer store about 1 mile just off Bethel Rd. on Van Skiver Rd. Be happy to meet up some time to talk old cars and such. If interested, send me a private message.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have ripped mine out a few times developing the moonroof seal that you bought from gbodyparts.com :D

Headliner out, you will probably need a new one, or replace it while it is out. Well worth it to do all at once
front seat out....trust me
Buy some headliner clips
4 10mm bolts hold the entire tray to the roof, there is also 2 7mm screws at the front.
if doing this alone laying on your back with your feet holding up the tray is easy...i know sounds weird but used to working on my own. This is where taking the front seats out is the key. Plus removing the tray which is as big as the roof comes into play
Make sure the glass is opened, it helps balance the tray as you drop it down
unhook the drain tubes at all four corners
Get a battery from a rechargable drill. Get a set of test leads. Run the glass towards the closed position, There is a position where it allows you to lift the front part of the glass out of the track.
Pull the glass up and remove the 2 11mm bolts on two brackets on either side. This allows you to take the glass out
DO NOT adjust the tracks on the sides, this will really cause havoc if you do not set them back correct and no matter what your seal will not seal against the body
Remove the seal and get all the crap off it. If you dont, you will have issues. Use 3m adhesive remover. Buy it at walmart auto section they carry it.
Test fit new seal to make sure i didnt mess anything up :)
apply a layer of adhesive on the surface of the glass, and also on the seal itself. Careful not to get it onto your hands and touch the seal. It has slip coat and will be pulled off by the adhesive on your fingers, trust me from experience.
Let the adhesive set 5 minutes, then apply!

Reverse the process

ps the pan seal is easy enough...just take old off, and put new on

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor