Not all post '81 rears are all metric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Just FYI, my '87 442 8.5 rear has 5/16"x 7/8"x18 thread stock bolts holding the cover on. When I put in the big block, I got rid of all the "part metric - part SAE" ridiculousness under the hood so it is now all SAE up there but on my latest [hook up, turn, and stop] project I decided to add a new rear end cover since I need to pop the factory cover for other reasons and I ordered longer metric bolts for the new cover [Trickflow] just because they are all metric right? . . . NOT!

Just wanted to let peeps know . . .

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I doubt very much that it came with SAE bolts for the cover from factory. If those bolts were SAE then the wheel studs would have been SAE as well

Last edited:

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
I bought this new in late '86. It's never been touched. But, it is yet another "no rhyme or reason" metric or SAE nonsense that I wanted to share for those [like me] that assumed everything post '81 were all metric.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
The only thing I can think of is they only made 4208 442s that last year so perhaps they were parts scrounging. Probably a serial number on it somewhere that I might be able to trace . . . if I decide I care enough? Mainly just wanted to report the anomaly in case it might help someone else?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I have noticed that as well with my 87 cutlass....not a 442(damn i wish it was)! Being i use a sbc all that stuff is sae, but fender, bumper, core support hardware is all metric, body bolts metric...but interior i have found sae mixed in which confuses the hell outta me! My 8.5 rear is out of a 85 442 and just like yours it uses sae bolts for the cover, but i have 12mm wheel studs!

My brother n law works at ford here in louisville and he tells me about that stuff all the time.....they will run out of metric hardware due to the "just in time" philosophy of production, and have to switch over to sae to keep the line moving.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My brother n law works at ford here in louisville and he tells me about that stuff all the time.....they will run out of metric hardware due to the "just in time" philosophy of production, and have to switch over to sae to keep the line moving.

that's how the Ford Edsel evolved, they used all the parts left over from other cars.....:D

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
that's how the Ford Edsel evolved, they used all the parts left over from other cars.....:D
Yep, agreed! My dad being 69 years old i grew up to stories about the "back when" days of cars and trucks being built with hodge podge parts to just produce.

Hell, my 07 mazda 6 daily has the 3.0 v6 that uses mostly ford replacement parts from the fusion equivalent.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Though I still loved the car, loved it more when I got an actual motor under the hood, and will soon love it even more when I get my latest project done, there is not only the no apparent reason for what is metric and what is SAE but I got a free 10mm socket on a short extension that was the rattle inside the PS door, there is the whole SSIIIs are FREAKIN' JUNK thing [VERY poorly fab'd wheels], and my special order 442 showed up with silver paint stalactites all along the bottom of the car it had run so badly from front to rear. I was tempted to have it shipped back for a do-over but was told "there won't be a do-over . . . that just means you don't get one" so the dealer had to strip and repaint all the silver on my brand new car. Was also told this was a deployed quality phase at GM where individuals were now responsible for their own quality and, though I have no idea if painting was robotic by then [probably was], something clearly went wrong and no one cared enough to have it fixed before it left the factory.

Seriously, paint-cicles? You are going to ship a car with paint-cicles on it? Yup . . .

So . . . having a rear end that has SAE diff cover bolts and metric wheel studs? I can live with that. Should have just pulled one and checked it before I ordered the new cover bolts but knew they were "supposed to be" metric and I even used a 13mm to take them out. Of course, a 1/2" worked even better . . . going back in with the new metric bolts, however, was a problem! Fortunately I didn't force anything.
:doh:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The quality was terrible back then. The big three are still paying for it today.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor