Not sure what to price my 81 El Camino at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
as far as the paint on the El Camino I would leave it as is, when a car is freshly painted I always wonder what the paint is hiding

I agree 100%....I would buy a rough paint car before a shiny fresh paint job any day. I guess I have trust issues.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
as far as the paint on the El Camino I would leave it as is, when a car is freshly painted I always wonder what the paint is hiding

I agree 100%....I would buy a rough paint car before a shiny fresh paint job any day. I guess I have trust issues.

I would normally agree with you both, but if he were to paint that car the work would be well documented.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would normally agree with you both, but if he were to paint that car the work would be well documented.

that is true but I don't think he would get his money for the paint job plus the added cost of the paint job may put the price beyond some guys who don't have that much disposable income but would be in the market with the price the way the car sits now. I don't think the guys who could afford it with the new paint job would be turned off the way the car sits, they'd have the money to get the paint job in any color they want

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have always questioned cars with "fresh paint" or even worse is "primed and ready for paint" I just feel like someone is trying to hide something.
But I do agree a documented process throughout the paint and prep can help if you went this route.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Primed and ready for paint always scared me the worst lol

• Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have a friend pushing me to sell El Camino to him but really not sure on price.
I would say if the plan is to sell to your friend then I would work out a fair "as is" price that you can both agree on and if he wants you to handle the completion of the body and paint work (assuming you want to do it) then add that to the first price to make it worth your while.
I think a friend price of approx. $2500 seems pretty fair and if you are going to loss money it might as well be to someone you know plus it appears your wanting for a Monte is more important than trying to get very dime you can out of the El Camino.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ

but that isn't the question. What's it worth "as-is" I believe is the question. I think if sold as-is he may not get much more than what he originally paid for the car. Thus he may end up at a financial loss for all his time and effort getting the mechanicals and interior sorted out.
Whereas a mechanically sorted car with a nice interior, working AC, and fresh paint will sell for more money. Thus no financial loss and perhaps a tidy profit.
Isn't that what flipping cars is about ? Buy a car that needs work, use your skillset to repair what is wrong, then sell for more money than you paid.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I could do a respray on this car but I have a 2 car garage that already has two torn apart project cars that cannot be put outside. To get this back on track to original question of as is worth seems to be $2500. I have around $600 in interior so I was thinking $3000 and this would be the final number. I sent the text to my friend a couple days ago and he said he could not swing it right now. Go figure. I bought this off craigslist last year about this time and it was listed for $2200. I got it for $1850. He had just listed it and I was the first one there. His phone was ringing constantly while I was there. The member idea of swapping engines is a good one. Seems the worth does not matter if it's 305 or 350. I'll also be swapping out other stuff like the brand new Champion aluminum radiator and drilled and slotted rotors

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
As you mentioned dd plans for the Monte at least your current eng/trans is tested trusted. Kinda why I mentioned swapping between cars

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor