now the frigging started went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Ya, thanks guys. I wasn't really getting it either, same reason as crucial......

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
this set up with the remote solenoid is used on just about every circle track car you see. After the race our car has shown up running 280 degrees but it never failed to fire up no matter how hot it got. GM used to sell a lighter spring for the solenoid to help with heat soaked solenoids but they discontinued it.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I finally found a diagram that should make sense to you....the battery terminal on the solenoid is what pulls in the rod to engage the gear into the ring gear. When the solenoid is heat soaked the contact from the S terminal to the battery terminal won't happen which means starter won't work. I'm also thinking the S connection doesn't need to be connected....which I think was your question...

14175_149_1.jpg

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
If you look at this diagram, I would say it looks like the S terminal needs to be connected in order to energize both solenoid windings.

StarterSystem.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My car is parked for the winter so in the spring I'll disconnect the S terminal and see if it will start....I'll bet a beer that is will....

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That is what I luv about this forum, if crucial hadn't asked his question and continued to question the remote solenoid set up I wouldn't have looked for the last photo I posted. That showed me why I was wrong thinking the S connection is needed. Thanks to crucial I'm now thinking the S connection is redundant and the battery terminal connection is only needed since that connection pulls the coil back to engage the gears.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
That is what I luv about this forum, if crucial hadn't asked his question and continued to question the remote solenoid set up I wouldn't have looked for the last photo I posted. That showed me why I was wrong thinking the S connection is needed. Thanks to crucial I'm now thinking the S connection is redundant and the battery terminal connection is only needed since that connection pulls the coil back to engage the gears.

I guess maybe my main argument against this is: If the factory wired a constant ~12V supply to the battery post on the starter and it doesn't spin or engage without power being applied to the S terminal, why do you think you can omit the S terminal?

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Drogg1 if you look at your diagram BATT output(M) to starter is connected to S terminal. I just checked with my DVM and there is continuity between S and BATT output, not BATT terminal

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The S terminal just pulls the round copper piece to allow the power of the battery cable pull the coil to engage the starter gear and turn the starter motor. With the remote solenoid the battery cable is powered when you turn the key to the start position. With the power being fed to the battery terminal on the starter terminal from the remote solenoid there is no need for the S terminal to have any power. Go to 15:20 on this video and you'll see the copper part I mean. When the solenoid is heat soak the problem is the spring will not allow the copper piece to contact the S terminal to allow the battery terminal to do it's job.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Darn I love this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor