NV3500 5-speed swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wageslave

Wageslave

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2017
I have been gathering parts for a manual swap into my '83 El Camino since February, and I have just got the e-mail saying my SickSpeed Monte pedal kit will be arriving by Tuesday. This means I have finally acquired everything I need to get my NV3500 put in.

On a side note, there is an amazing variety of GM and custom parts going into hooking this motor to this transmission. This is the list of parts I THINK will go together to make this work:

2002 S10 - M50 NV3500 5-speed transmission
1990 Chevrolet 1500 - Flywheel
1998 Chevrolet 1500 - Clutch Set
2002 S10 - Concentric Slave Cylinder/Throwout Bearing
2002 S10 - Hydraulic Hose
2000 Camaro - Clutch Master Cylinder
SickSpeed Monte - Clutch Pedal Assembly
G Force - Crossmember and Frame Extentions

There were a few easier ways to do this, but I wanted to use a V8 flywheel and clutch set instead of using the V6 flywheel and clutch set out of an S10.

IMG_20170901_002358.jpg
IMG_20170901_002358.jpg
IMG_20170901_002757.jpg

Last edited:
O

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
sickspeed has a nice pedal setup. i have one in my brown cutlass. word much better than the psi pedal i used before.
joe

Reactions: Happy camper
Wageslave

Wageslave

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2017
sickspeed has a nice pedal setup. i have one in my brown cutlass. word much better than the psi pedal i used before.
joe
I hope so, my poor knee can't hardly handle a stout clutch anymore.
I will be picking up some from the dealer after I get it set in. If my last transmission pull was any indicator, there will not be a drop left in it by the time I get it angled into the car.

Wageslave

Wageslave

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2017
He seemed pretty cool over e-mail, and I did like the pictures of the car on his site.

Wageslave

Wageslave

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2017
I got the old TH200 out of the car this evening, and as tradition my hair is now thoroughly conditioned with ATF. It has been a good transmission in the time it was there but it was leaking fluid all over the place. I also found a rust hole or two that were not there before, including one that is directly over the differential.

I did end up getting a 1998 Chevrolet Truck slave cylinder and installing it instead of the S10 unit that I had originally planned. The slave cylinder that came with the transmission had a throwout bearing that was a different style than the one from the parts store.

I did drop the transmission out from below, but it was a PITA and I am still undecided whether the engine will come out for putting in the new transmission.

Wageslave

Wageslave

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2017
I did get some progress made today before work. I had to pull my aftermarket cruise control setup out, as all of the wiring went through the firewall at the cruise control hole. I probably will not put it back in since I rarely ever used it anyways.

I got my pedal cage out of the car and have the clutch pedal attatched to it. I still have to cut the brake pedal down, but I need new pedal pads to measure off of.

My bracket that attaches to the brake booster rubs against the inner fender slightly. I will probably just use a torch and an old ladle to make an indention in that part of the fender.

The automatic shifter linkage and handle has been taken off of the car. I may wire around the park/neutral switch so I will have reverse lights, but that will be after I get it rolling on its own.

Hopefully after work I will get my new trans mocked in place so I can cut a hole in the tunnel.

Wageslave

Wageslave

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2017
IMG_20170907_134010.jpg IMG_20170907_134010.jpg IMG_20170908_133446.jpg IMG_20170907_121111.jpg

I got a little more progress made before work. I got my Camaro master cylinder mounted on the bracket and installed on the car. It still needs a little trimming around where the hole goes in at the firewall, but I haven't put the pedal cage back on yet so it will just slide back out of the way.

I had to go junkyard shopping for pedal pads, as the Dorman part is not in parts stores for some reason. I also got a reservoir out of a cavalier as all the camaro ones in the yard were trash.

Hopefully I will have the pedal side of things buttoned up tonight.

Wageslave

Wageslave

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2017
Some more progress this evening. The pedal side of things is complete and the slave cylinder has been bench bled.

I also got the automatic flywheel removed and the manual (heavy as hell) flywheel installed. I ended up getting the clutch and pressure plate installed before I called it a day, but it getting closer.
IMG_20170910_205538.jpg

IMG_20170910_201738.jpg
IMG_20170910_205449.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor