Oct. Update 7 years I bought a 8.5 rear end = Got screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The real business case would be that the original investment took place 7 years ago. One could justify buying new at this point but that money can be considered sunk cost for the age. Would have to expend 2300 and then have 2 rears with 4100 total investment. Can’t really write any of it off so even if you could sell the old one you wouldn’t get probably more than 5 or 600 for it in poor shape. Let’s be generous and say you got 1000 for it. You’re still down 3100.

At 2800 to get the issues fixed, you would still be 300 to the food assuming you could’ve got 1k for the broke one.

If you need a rear end, and you’re gonna have to eat some $$, my business case would be spend the 1k and it likely will be a lot less painful. Plus use the 300 phantom savings to get a new TC or shift kit for the trans.

I agree, I think....:unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

mr84monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2018
then the backlash was off on the ring and pinion which is easy to adjust so all you needed was a couple of axles so how did the price jump to $2800??

The person doing the work knows that I'm picky, and said that he could shim it, but there is a chance that it'll make some noise, and suggested that I buy new (he's not making money on the deal, I ordered the stuff from Summit myself). The gear and install kit came to $490 shipped and The axle's, studs, and C-clip Eliminators from Moser came to $500. Plus the origional $1800 I spent on the rear.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The person doing the work knows that I'm picky, and said that he could shim it, but there is a chance that it'll make some noise, and suggested that I buy new (he's not making money on the deal, I ordered the stuff from Summit myself). The gear and install kit came to $490 shipped and The axle's, studs, and C-clip Eliminators from Moser came to $500. Plus the origional $1800 I spent on the rear.

you have the wrong guy working on the rear end, what did he suggest you buy? A new set of gears and/or a carrier? If he told you to buy both or either he wasted your money.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Gear set and the install kit plus axles studs and c clip eliminators. That’s what he bought. Basically everything but the cover gasket and maybe some bearings and seals. Which is what it would take to restore the screwed up stuff. That’s how I understand it. Making lemonade outta lemons.

• Agree

Pronto-

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2014
Caulk that one up to experience. Never ASSume any used (or NEW) item is ready to install without looking at it closely. I had a brand new set of roller lifters that had a bunch of the roller pins missing. If I hadn't happen to look at the rollers it would have been a disaster.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The seller probably took the $1800 and bought a new 9" for his car,

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
I just don't understand why so many people love those GN rears so much. I don't care that they were made for our cars. Given the price people ask for them, there are better options out there. Like my 12 bolt which is stronger and cost less than the OP's original purchase price. and is more or less a bolt in. I had to buy conversion uppers but since 90% of people buy new uppers and lowers anyways that makes it a wash.

My belief is that if GM was going to put that rear in the gutlass 442 it should have been put in the Monte Carlo SS as well or just a GN only rear as that was the only G-body that ever really needed a stronger rear from the factory.

What went with the 547 8.5" rears that were put in the GN's that were sent to ASC for conversion? Or did they leave the assembly line with 7.5 rears?

thunderball

Greasemonkey
Jan 18, 2016
My friends call me crazy, but I buy new stuff if I can't get a SMOKING deal on used.
Especially transmissions/rear ends. My new Mosier 9" w/disks & posi was less than $2500.
Not trying to rub salt in your wound, I have learned this lesson too many times myself.
Trust no one selling "premium used parts" unless the price allows for a rebuild.

Have you used this rear end for 7 years or has it been waiting?

Im the same way. I need reliability. To sacrifice that its got to be well worth the risk and install time.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I patiently waited until I found a one-legger. I paid $600 for it and spent the money on new bearings and gears plus an almost-new truck posi from CL and 30-spline Moser axles to make it work. Ended up almost the same price, but I know exactly what's in it. If I was shopping today, I'd go with a Dana 60 or Niner, for more money, of course.

Reactions: 2 users

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I got lucky I got a 342 posi for 700.00 while on vacation in Tennessee it pays to look on Craigslist and travel in a truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor