Oil in the Radiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Yep, off of a Chevy/GMC truck
Interesting. . . Along with 3 jacks, 1 being the original stand jack, an original spare and now a cooler for a truck that I don't have :ROFLMAO:. That's okay cause this thing came with mystery paper work too, including a 1979 Malibu booklet and title. . . .Thanks. Yep definitely going to flush out the radiator tomorrow. You people are awesome! :love:

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Kinda wondering if the trans cooler in the rad is leaking and they used the external cooler instead.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
trans cooler is mounted in the passenger side of the radiator. when they leak, the coolant will look pink, like a strawberry milkshake.
engine oil will look more like a root beer float. and could come from a leaking intake gasket, but is very rare, more theoretical. if brown, i would go with dirty pan like pagrunt suggested.

or, is it possible that what your seeing is rusty coolant?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
trans cooler is mounted in the passenger side of the radiator. when they leak, the coolant will look pink, like a strawberry milkshake.
engine oil will look more like a root beer float. and could come from a leaking intake gasket, but is very rare, more theoretical. if brown, i would go with dirty pan like pagrunt suggested.

or, is it possible that what your seeing is rusty coolant?
The best way I can explain it, when I put my finger in it, it was sludgy black oil, that came up as I was filling the Radiator, No real way to see what the coolant looks like until I drain it unfortunately. Other wise oil in pan was fine, and Trans fluid looked good too.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Worse case, cracked cylinder. Sounds like a blown head/intake gasket to me.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
you have a mixture of coolant with the oil but he said the crankcase showed no coolant
where else would the oil come from? unless the other going theory is correct, p/o did a dumb and used dirty coolant .

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor