Oil pan question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
IMG_1169.JPG
Hey again guys. So in another post the oil pan convo came up which lead me to take a closer look at mine. I have an LY6 6.0 ltr. The engine actually came out of a UPS truck so I have very minimal on the specifics of the engine since there's nowhere I know of to get that info so I'm just going of a express van.
To my point I took a look at the oil pan and it doesn't look like the typical truck pan. I went to ls1tech site and looked at the oil pans and it actually measurement wise is more like an ls1 oil pan.
Any of you come across this before?
Would this pan work?
I plan to do away with the vvt so will I have to get rid If it anyway?
I was also looking for details on the muscle car pan on line and couldn't find. Anybody have one and actually measured it? Or what site has detailed measurements on it? Or the Holley pan

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If it came from a UPS truck the driver probably forgot to deliver it so he "threw" the pan on the engine after he yanked it from his truck to sell it just before he got fired....

Jdigitty88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2016
Doesn't look like a truck pan as the drain on the truck pan is at the 6 position. Can you see any part number on the bottom?

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
I'll take a peek and see if there is a part number. From the rear to where it slopes upward measures roughly 15 inches and from the pan gasket to the bottom of the lowest part of the pan it measure about 5 1/2. Looking at the measurements of different oil pans it about the same measurements as the ls1 pan.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
IMG_1170.JPG
If it came from a UPS truck the driver probably forgot to deliver it so he "threw" the pan on the engine after he yanked it from his truck to sell it just before he got fired....

Lmao.
I took this pic quick. I haven't had a chance to try to google it cause I'm out with the kids Biking. Or should I say getting my but kicked. Lol

Reactions: 1 user

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Ok so a quick google search shows it as a fbody ls1 pan. But an updated version that uses ls3 style oil filter. That's interesting. Doesn't change anything. It work unless I notch the frame. For that effort I'll bet the muscle car pan and sell this one as a package with the pic up and all on eBay. Or if one of you guys need it lmk.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
So now that I have that figured out. I'm curious, I'm going to eliminate the vvt so with a non vvt timing cover will that pan work. I know I would need to notch the frame. I may not probably easier to just get the muscle car pan, but extra options are
Never a bad thing

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Well I know I must be a pain lol. I have a quick question. The muscle car pan
19212593, Come with the pick up, windage tray, dip stick, bolts etc etc, Now If I found a deal on that pan but the guy only has the pan and pick up? That should be all I need right? I dont need the bolts I can reuse the ones that come off, there is already a windage tray ( I assume)
Guys if you see this and know pls mention it. I want to know if its worth buying the pan and pick up for 125 as opposed to 195 for the kit. That 70 bucks can get me the mounts or close to it. lol
Thanks

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Well I know I must be a pain lol. I have a quick question. The muscle car pan
19212593, Come with the pick up, windage tray, dip stick, bolts etc etc, Now If I found a deal on that pan but the guy only has the pan and pick up? That should be all I need right? I dont need the bolts I can reuse the ones that come off, there is already a windage tray ( I assume)
Guys if you see this and know pls mention it. I want to know if its worth buying the pan and pick up for 125 as opposed to 195 for the kit. That 70 bucks can get me the mounts or close to it. lol
Thanks
The bolts can definitely be reused. I don't know if the windage trays interchange. The F body (LS1) windage tray may interfere with the H3 (muscle car) pickup. Compare part numbers for both trays. The information may be in that thread I linked above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor