Ok I give, what's the trick to getting the shifter cable installed and then to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Forgive me for not following closely enough....

Does the car still have the dual-gate in it?

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Do you see any adjustment places on this? I don't..........use the metal clips, lock it in place and it's to be good to go right???????????
cable.jpg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
It's been touched on, but let's verify a few things

Is the column backdrive linkage still installed?

Does the stud that the cable attaches to at the transmission lever have a nut attaching it to the lever?

Is the stud located in a slot on the lever?

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
It's been touched on, but let's verify a few things

Is the column backdrive linkage still installed?

Does the stud that the cable attaches to at the transmission lever have a nut attaching it to the lever?

Is the stud located in a slot on the lever?

Yes column linkage is still installed..........I'll go take more pics once my pain meds kick in.........trying to do this
with a case of shingles is truly testing my patience........and will.,

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
My suggestions

Unhook the backdrive from the trans, to eliminate possible obstructions to movement

Attach shift cable to shifter in park.

Loosen stud nut (if present) at shift lever on trans and slide stud to align with cable eye.

If this is not possible, measure travel in a straight line from park position at trans shift lever stud hole to "low" position at shift lever stud hole

Disconnect cable from shifter and measure travel from park to low at cable attachment point

Measure cable travel from fully collapsed to fully extended

Somewhere in there is the answer

For curiousity sake, where was the cable sourced?

Reactions: 1 user

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I am trying to visualize these ideas and I am havign a hard time seeing how, if the cable will only move 3 inches and I need 4...
and there is no adjustability in the cable.......and the length of travel for both the shifter lever on the trans and the floor shifter is
4 inches...........then how am I to make a travel length of 4 inches down to 3 inches?
There is no adjustability on the Hurst Shift Lever itself.
And trying to shorten a travel distance on the trans gear will I end up not having all the gears?

I need to make sense of this before I go throwing adjustments in here when it seems I need a cable with 4 inch travel
at each end.............just me sharing my thoughts.................

There are too many unadjustables here..........time for more pain killers............:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor