Ok I need help again. Crank no start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I dunno then. I guess splicing in a regular old clear filter would solve the problem then. I have mine run that way out of necessity ( I can't seem to get a good factory line out of a junked car without twisting it), and it works OK.

JuuCeD82ReGaL

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2008
Marietta Ga
Ok took the tank off and found that the sac filter on the fuel sending had fell off. I put itback on and it runs finally. But now theproblem is that I HAVE FUEL COMING OUT OF MY CARB OUT OF a hole infront of the flap on carb. It get realflooded and have to clean up around carb. It taken about a few seconds and it starts too over flow . i did it with the fuel filter in and when i took it out. Any suggestions??????

Chet Who?

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2007
Charlotte,NC
I had that same problem with my Cutlass after I changed the filter. What happened is I stripped those threads in the carb and those shavings caused hell. Might want to check those fittins. Just a suggestion.

JuuCeD82ReGaL

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2008
Marietta Ga
Well I heard that the float could be stuck. Stuck in the closed position so that its getting somuch fuelk it just overflows? Im hoping I can find the problem out over the weekend. Any1 know how to adjust the float or make it comback up? Maybe tap on it? Hope I dont have to take and rebuild the carb but thats what its looking like so far. :roll:

JuuCeD82ReGaL

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2008
Marietta Ga
Ok now I finally got the float problem fixed cuz it dont overflow but was running real rough. I started to adjust the air fuel screw and took it for a drive. It had little pickup and I couldnt make it up any hills. So i kept pulling over and adjusting as I was driving then I guess I went to far clockwise and it died out and will not continnue to run again. I think its a fuel problem again because I am not getting anygas to the carb. I dont know if its the fuel sending unit or new fuel pump thats not functioning. It will start with force feeding though.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Umm... did you take the carb apart to fix the float issue? If so, it is likely you broke the TPS plunger from not knowing how to put it back together again, and now the computer thinks the engine is at WOT all the time. I did this once, and it was not a pretty sight what it did.

JuuCeD82ReGaL

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2008
Marietta Ga
Nah man i havnt taken apart the carb yet. I just tapped on the bowl and im sure it freed it up. It doesnt flood anymore but...... Not gettin fuel again. Im thinking itsthis fuel sending unit. I was going to unscrew the fuel pump line and try to crank the car and hopefully if no gas is present than its in the tank
thats the problem. Dam fuel sending unit.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, it could also be a blockage in the line too. It is rare, but the lack of the sock could have allowed contaminants or rust to go from the tank through the line. You could try blowing the line out with compressed air. Just don't blow through the fuel pump as you may rupture the diaphragm.

JuuCeD82ReGaL

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2008
Marietta Ga
LoL sh*t! There wasnt enough gas! It was knocking pretty good when i finally got it running again. The car just seems to not have any power. Its frustrating! Especially knowing that the timing is off but I CANNOT ADJUST IT WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE tdc OR IT WILL STALL.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Then don't adjust it to TDC. You may be missing something though. To set the timing on a GM CCC system, you need to disconnect the 4 wire plug on the distributor before you start. Otherwise, the computer will fight you. If this does not help, set it by ear and don't worry about the timing mark. The balancer may have had it's inertia ring slip on the hub, thus making the timing mark useless. The only way to test this would be to put the engine at TDC using a piston stop and check to see where the mark is in relation to the pointer.

Oh, and if you have the V6, you never will have any power. The car is so slow that a Yugo with a blown head gasket could probably take it in a race...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor