OK! Rusted Through roof! Total repaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDR89

Apprentice
Jul 25, 2020
Manassas, VA
Honestly, you can’t get a scuff and shoot for that price. Materials are probably half the budget alone.
I honestly don't know how to reply to that. I do not think he is lying to me. I know someone who had a car shot by his shop. No bodywork just shot and cleared for 1,000.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
what he was implying was you get what you pay for..in the sense that the materials alone(I'm in the industry as well)combined with even a low labor rate can't be getting a quality job.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I honestly don't know how to reply to that. I do not think he is lying to me. I know someone who had a car shot by his shop. No bodywork just shot and cleared for 1,000.
If you paid for materials and prep the car I’d probably shoot it for 1k, but I wouldn’t want my name on it. Materials, time, experience, pride in workmanship, they all cost money. I know someone that is looking to get a car painted at a price point. It’s a known vehicle, and I’m looking to go out on my own, so I took a look at it. What he wants to spend I’m not willing to put my name on the job. I’ve heard he found someone to do it for his price. Now either they’re going to work for free, or the car will look like crap. Auto body is extremely labor intensive, and the materials are expensive. So unless you’re doing it yourself with cheap materials, the price is too low and it will look like crap. Those are the facts.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
If you paid for materials and prep the car I’d probably shoot it for 1k, but I wouldn’t want my name on it. Materials, time, experience, pride in workmanship, they all cost money. I know someone that is looking to get a car painted at a price point. It’s a known vehicle, and I’m looking to go out on my own, so I took a look at it. What he wants to spend I’m not willing to put my name on the job. I’ve heard he found someone to do it for his price. Now either they’re going to work for free, or the car will look like crap. Auto body is extremely labor intensive, and the materials are expensive. So unless you’re doing it yourself with cheap materials, the price is too low and it will look like crap. Those are the facts.
that happens more often than you'd think. someone will take on the job and lose their shirt just because that particular ride or person has a certain amount of prominence going for them.with the hopes of the reputation paying off down the road.

Reactions: 1 users

RDR89

Apprentice
Jul 25, 2020
Manassas, VA
that happens more often than you'd think. someone will take on the job and lose their shirt just because that particular ride or person has a certain amount of prominence going for them.with the hopes of the reputation paying off down the road.
Well at this point it could hardly look worse.

hayabrusa

Apprentice
Supporting Member
Oct 7, 2015
Agree with the above posts, i had a specific body guy to do my car because i knew of his work. quoted 5-6 grand to do the job but when we got into it we ended up closer to 10. I didn't have a issue with it as i know he was opening up a can of worms but if you want it done right it will cost ya!
Now maybe mine was a bit over the top but he completely pulled interior, all the windows etc etc to do a proper color change as well.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Id say 1k for the roof replacement isn't a bad number. I'm talking just the metal work.It is alot of work to replace the whole roof skin. Especially if you take into consideration removal of everything. If you don't take the interior out you will likely start a fire.I probably got 15 hrs atleast just in the metal work on my top. Drilling,cutting,welding,grinding the entire time. I took it to a body shop while I was still driving it. He wouldn't even give me a price. Gave me good advice though(fix it myself or drive it as is). Also remember those prices are estimates. They'll go up when the work starts and gremlins are uncovered.I have around 800 in epoxy primer,high build primer, seam sealer, and consumables. Medium quality Materials are expensive. High quality materials are out of my reach. You might look into fixing the roof yourself with patches. Its a good excuse to buy tools.Theres a few threads on here that have covered this exact problem. This is as close to a step by step for your problem as you can get.

RDR89

Apprentice
Jul 25, 2020
Manassas, VA
Id say 1k for the roof replacement isn't a bad number. I'm talking just the metal work.It is alot of work to replace the whole roof skin. Especially if you take into consideration removal of everything. If you don't take the interior out you will likely start a fire.I probably got 15 hrs atleast just in the metal work on my top. Drilling,cutting,welding,grinding the entire time. I took it to a body shop while I was still driving it. He wouldn't even give me a price. Gave me good advice though(fix it myself or drive it as is). Also remember those prices are estimates. They'll go up when the work starts and gremlins are uncovered.I have around 800 in epoxy primer,high build primer, seam sealer, and consumables. Medium quality Materials are expensive. High quality materials are out of my reach. You might look into fixing the roof yourself with patches. Its a good excuse to buy tools.Theres a few threads on here that have covered this exact problem. This is as close to a step by step for your problem as you can get.
Thanks man. Very appreciated.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I think $1000 is a low estimate. If the guys work looks good go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor