Olds 350 Timing Chain Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

-dw-

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2021
Central MN
Going through some boxes the other day, found the following. Pics below; this is the standard replacement C-3003K from Cloyes,

On your crank gear you can heat it slightly, don't have to get it cherry red. Standard Gear puller will pull it off with no damage to the crank snout. Same with putting the new one on, heat slightly and the press on.

You Tube is not shy on its demonstration of incompetence, but there are several out there that show proper procedure on doing things like changing gear sets, etc...

Check that part number. Its good if you need a set for a Buick 350.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Start, probably. Move, maybe, how far for how long, yet to be determined. Thinking here that this is going to be an all or nothing proposition. You either repair/assemble it and all is well, or You repair/assemble it, and it runs just long enough for you to learn that there is no oil pressure because the oil pump has inhaled some of the shrapnel from the death of the cam gear, and the motor locks up.

Not wanting to be the voice of gloom and doom here but, and as has been pointed out by others all having all that nylon debris floating around in the oil pan means is that there is greater chance of some it getting sucked up into the pump and jamming the pump gears or breaking the pump drive shaft. You might be able to diminish the chances of self destruction by doing an immediate oil and filter change before you try the restart once you have the gears changed.

Nick

zipties

Apprentice
Feb 2, 2022
Start, probably. Move, maybe, how far for how long, yet to be determined.
I've already drained the oil, mentioned im going to be dropping the pan to be inspecting, replacing gaskets, and replacing the oil pump. i may be stupid, but im not stupid enough to look at the oil and gear shrapnel smoothie in the pan and think, "that's fine."

I'm just weighing my options rn between pulling off the top end and checking the cam vs just turning it by hand with fresh oil and gears to see if any noise/spots developed. It's not like it's an exhaustive effort to undo the timing cover or anything.

At this point just waiting on my gaskets. Everything else is sourced. got a puller for the crank and it came off easy. In the meantime, I got all of the old stuff cleaned and prepped for reinstall.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I've already drained the oil, mentioned im going to be dropping the pan to be inspecting, replacing gaskets, and replacing the oil pump. i may be stupid, but im not stupid enough to look at the oil and gear shrapnel smoothie in the pan and think, "that's fine."

I'm just weighing my options rn between pulling off the top end and checking the cam vs just turning it by hand with fresh oil and gears to see if any noise/spots developed. It's not like it's an exhaustive effort to undo the timing cover or anything.

At this point just waiting on my gaskets. Everything else is sourced. got a puller for the crank and it came off easy. In the meantime, I got all of the old stuff cleaned and prepped for reinstall.
You might consider just pulling the spark plugs and turning over the engine with a ratchet, after you've replaced the timing set. The starter motor is a few horsepower and turns the engine relatively fast and without any finesse. With the plugs out, the engine should be relatively easy to turn with a ratchet and you'd be able to feel any binding. I'd do this before reinstalling the oil pan or the timing cover.

• Agree

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
My sole and only point was that dumping the oil pan and cleaning it out is likely to only make the oil pan clean. From all you have posted, just how long that timing gear has been self destructing is fairly uncertain. While I agree that all the large lumps and chunks will likely have stayed in the pan, anything fine enough to get through the oil pump pick up screen and past the pump gears could be anywhere in the oil system.

I do get that you want this to be a low buck exercise that will give you a working motor that will do until you build something better But, and any good engine builder and most of the senior heads on this board, might suggest the same if asked, you are going to have no way of knowing how far into the engine the small and smaller and very fine debris has gone until you go looking. i did mention lifting the intake for just exactly that reason.

Just as a total side thought at this point, did you happen to fillet the oil filter and see what it had trapped?

Nick

zipties

Apprentice
Feb 2, 2022
My sole and only point was that dumping the oil pan and cleaning it out is likely to only make the oil pan clean. From all you have posted, just how long that timing gear has been self destructing is fairly uncertain. While I agree that all the large lumps and chunks will likely have stayed in the pan, anything fine enough to get through the oil pump pick up screen and past the pump gears could be anywhere in the oil system.

I do get that you want this to be a low buck exercise that will give you a working motor that will do until you build something better But, and any good engine builder and most of the senior heads on this board, might suggest the same if asked, you are going to have no way of knowing how far into the engine the small and smaller and very fine debris has gone until you go looking. i did mention lifting the intake for just exactly that reason.

Just as a total side thought at this point, did you happen to fillet the oil filter and see what it had trapped?

Nick
I'm already going to have to retime the whole thing, so peeling the intake is no big deal lol. Going to get around to that soon too..

Carb is already rebuilt and fresh, but i guess it's a good opportunity to hotwash and paint the intake too.

The more I look at it, the more i consider just getting the motor out of the car, but that can't happen just yet for a variety of reasons. sucks when a project decides to become much more involved than you planned on it being at the time, but thats how it goes sometimes.

I just got mail but of course it's raining all day so the tarps aint coming off yet. If it's dry tomorrow I can finally get some big work done and post pictures.

That will include tons of pics of the oil and filter dissection - should be good...

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
download.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor