Olds 350 to Chevy 350 Swap

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Looks good. I did an older small journal 327 had several rebuilds before I got it and at least 4 paint jobs. I water blasted and degreased it and used a clear coat. It had the original GM red in some spots, then orange, yellow and something like a silver grey. And the bare metal spots as well. Looked good with the gloss clear. I kept the original manifold with the oil fill tube.

I changed out the balancer and pulleys those were gloss black but everything else left it as I got it. Just cleaned it up and clear coat.

Engine was flat tops, studded ARP mains, Crane roller rockers, .488 cam and found some old headman headers old sliver paint and rust, a little beat up but fit the look. Sold to guy doing a rat rod so it fit that look perfect.

Reactions: 1 user

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
You have way more patience than I do
I would have opened a vein by now lol
I agree with your decision on the swap though
My very first “ performance” build was a 403 olds basically a bored out 350
Parts cost more than a sbc and once I was in deep I realized some stuff didn’t even exist !
I had a big cam a high rise intake etc but no one made heads … wtf?? So had the stock ones ported and milled but still not all that awesome
Headers were custom only
This was years ago so I forget all the pitfalls I ran into but my knee jerk reaction is GO CHEVY
The 403 did run hard once you got moving though …
I did a full boogie street 383 with edelbrock heads intake comp cam demon carb aftermarket crank and a roller block for cheaper than I did the 403
And it was WAY faster, quicker and I didn’t have to explain to the parts counter guy what my engine was every time

Reactions: 1 users

zipties

Apprentice
Feb 2, 2022
You have way more patience than I do
I would have opened a vein by now lol
I agree with your decision on the swap though
My very first “ performance” build was a 403 olds basically a bored out 350
Parts cost more than a sbc and once I was in deep I realized some stuff didn’t even exist !
I had a big cam a high rise intake etc but no one made heads … wtf?? So had the stock ones ported and milled but still not all that awesome
ah i've dealt with worse. my main car is my 83 elco and i have it on the backburner rn working on this cutlass. I've had it for a long time and I'm getting ready to completely tear it apart so i can build a cage and custom suspension mounting for it. i probably won't have it driveable for another two or three years but that's okay. the driving and the building are equally fun for me. it's always something new whether it's upgrades or just fixing sh*t.

getting the sbc in it will be a big plus for its driveability for me. i still have so many random OE parts laying around.

Reactions: 1 users

zipties

Apprentice
Feb 2, 2022
got a good bit of what i needed done this weekend. i shoulda taken off tomorrow, at least i get tuesday.

ginna try and use this to review my progress and make plans. Keeps me in check. From last post:

replace filter, gaskets and seals on the new 350C trans - done. didnt take pics as it was messy.

get a new oil pan bolt (existing bolt is very sketchy) - done. dorman sells these off the shelf so no biggie

get all the fittings for gauges/sensors installed - done technically. the oil and coolant bungs are in, i'll need to get the speedo hooked up once the new cable arrives.

remove and clean driveshaft - done.

test fit engine and trans (going to bolt trans to the block externally, and install as one) - half done. Engine is in, ran out of time to get the trans in position.

check tolerances for headers, oil filter, starter+wires, dizzy, air cleaner with intake, etc - not done yet as i don't have quite everything. Soon

Here's some pics of the engine in place. yeah, i rattle canned the firewall.

1000003545.jpg

1000003546.jpg

like butter. really hoping i have everything bolted up by next weekend so i can start sealing things and filling fluids, check for leaks. i'm really happy with how the motor looks in the bay.

1000003547.jpg

happy 4th everyone 🇺🇸

Attachments

• 1000003546.jpg
    1000003546.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 55

zipties

Apprentice
Feb 2, 2022
went camping this weekend, minimal progess. i got the car in the air and finished removing all the underpinnings for the drive shaft, got it off, need to get a new U joint sometime this weekend. transmission is ready to go in but i misplaced my bolts so i'm just gonna buy new ones when i'm out. also going to be changing the rear fluid for peace of mind.

going to be carefully bolting the trans up so i don't have the same issue as before with that stupid adapter. I know someone posted about bushings/pads for the frame mounts of the crossmember and i'd never seen those - i don't really recall them ever being there on my previous G cars. Research makes it look like it was only on certain drivelines, namely diesels. idk, this car didn't have them and i'll keel it that way. using my engine leveler that i ALWAYS neglect, along with an extra pair of hands and a transmission jack, should make bolting it a piece of cake.

i think for now i'm going to rip off the A/C box - i'd love to keep heat in it but haven't had luck sourcing a heat only box yet. in the meantime it's in the way.

will take pics next time.

86 Salon

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2021
Looks fine. If you have any concerns, once nuts are torqued, you can just tack with mig.

I never did understand why GM did their motor mounts the way they did. It would have been so easy to spin weld in the nuts or just thread the holes, and doing so would have been faster in production as well.

You might find AC delete box in the 70's vintage, after 81/82 era it's going to be difficult. Once GM went with C3 (CCC/EST), AC came standard most cases. The ECM needed the AC clutch to engage to help shut down engine and prevent run-on.
The reason GM didn't weld nuts inside the frame is because those frames were used for eleven model years with probably a dozen different engines. Look at how many holes are in those frames for mounts. Strictly dollars and cents.

zipties

Apprentice
Feb 2, 2022
The reason GM didn't weld nuts inside the frame is because those frames were used for eleven model years with probably a dozen different engines. Look at how many holes are in those frames for mounts. Strictly dollars and cents.
GM bean counters were in overdrive during the malaise era.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
You’ll miss the defrost in the fall mornings when your window fogs up, other than that probably don’t even need one in a fair weather car

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona

Yeah, just a thing that makes you go hmmm.... On the line they would have been spun weld most likely and could be done at build speed, based on factory master, and probably a labor cost reduction. Yet, all academic as they didn't do it.

zipties

Apprentice
Feb 2, 2022
have gotten a lot done, really hoping to start it by the end of the month. trans is all bolted up with no issues.

1000005325.jpg

I ripped out the A/C box and cleaned up the firewall as it was getting pretty crusty under there. A/C housing itself was pretty scuffed, cracked boltholes and hairline cracks, i just pitched it. The controls though, were in great shape and I plucked them out carefully.

1000005314.jpg

if anyone wants this thing, let me know. I don't want it to go to waste, all the lines/wires are in good shape too.

i took off work today and tomorrow for some more free time. i won't be working on it tomorrow, i gotta catch up on other chores, but still. Got a lot done this long weekend. unfortunately my driver side header doesn't clear the bung for the coolant temp sensor so i need to grind some off. i need to get new spark plugs and plug wires, and i DO need to extend the wires for the starter. Probably another foot of wire or so.

1000005328.jpg

Everything else passed mockup. It's the home stretch.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor