Status
Not open for further replies.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
cutlass 3.jpg

Got the chrome trim taken off the bottom before it caused rust issues. Here is driver vs passenger side. I think it looks pretty good on the wheels. Hopefully sometime next year I can paint it for the gf she loves this thing. What do you guys think

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The wheels look great on it. I like it without the rocker trim.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
The wheels look great on it. I like it without the rocker trim.

Thanks! I think with a fresh silver paint job the wheels will look even better. Its definetly has a muscle car look with them on there. The rocker trim removal is a big plus, it rusts the cars out for one and two I always thought it looked like it was slapped on there last minute in an attempt at a cheap way to somehow make the cars look fancy. Big fail in my opinion. Some people love it others hate it

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks! I think with a fresh silver paint job the wheels will look even better. Its definetly has a muscle car look with them on there. The rocker trim removal is a big plus, it rusts the cars out for one and two I always thought it looked like it was slapped on there last minute in an attempt at a cheap way to somehow make the cars look fancy. Big fail in my opinion. Some people love it others hate it
I agree with you. I've always felt that less is more with all that trim.

If my car didn't have fresh paint I would remove a lot of trim from it and would likely remove the landau top. I'm not going to paint my car so all that stuff is staying.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Well I got the starter back from being rebuilt and something amazing happened, the car didn't try to set itself on fire or melt the batteries!!! Cranked over nice and smooth however still cant get it to start. I drizzled a little diesel down the intake and didn't get anything either. Bleed the air out of the injector tubes and didn't get a whole lot of fuel coming out at all so im pretty sure the injection pump is shot from sitting so when I pull the engine out this winter for rebuild ill have it rebuilt as well. Probably will have to put glow plugs and injectors in it at the same time. I might have found why it was parked in the first place because while I was under the car installing the starter I noticed that the freeze plug next to the engine mount was missing so that's interesting and hopefully there isn't anymore damage besides the obvious

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Okay guys been a while since I posted anything on here. Good news!!! The diesel is out. Getting replaced by the Olds 260 and trans from a gold colored cutlass I parted out a while back. By parted out mostly means scrapped everything because it was so rotted. While the GF is enjoying the car with the turd of a V8 in it I will be finishing up a 455 for it to replace it. The ultimate engine she wants for the long run is a 6.5 turbo diesel which I picked up not long ago for a good price. Manual injection pump so not all the annoying electronics to worry about. I found something ive never seen before on a Gbody, a plastic firewall.... behind the original diesel the firewall was capped in a full width plastic covering with fiberglass insulation behind it. Even the heat/AC box had an additional covering. I have never before seen this option on a Gbody although I admit ive never had the pleasure to work on an original diesel one either. It seems that GM was afraid of the heat on the firewall. It is so fragile from time that I doubt I will be able to save it but I will post some pictures up soon of the engine out as well as the firewall cover for those of you that like me, have never seen one before.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I am betting it was for some absorption, those diesels old diesels were loud. You decided against rebuilding the 5.7 diesel? The old 6.2 and 6.5's were good but pretty gutless as well run an OD trans and deep gears, otherwise it will be a small improvement over the 260. I cranked the timing on my 260 and had headers and 2.5" x pipe exhaust, now just 2" duals with a 2004R and 3.42 gears, has acceptable performance, hoping for 30 mpg imperial this summer.

Last edited:

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Lol 6.5s got bad raps but they are monsters. I will be rebuilding the 5.7 but at a much slower pace. Im putting a manual trans behind the 6.5 with some marine injectors and some tuning on the pump. With the boost turned up it will be a tire roaster. They aren't a high RPM engine but they don't need to be. The one I had in my 94 truck was built up and could really move that 6,500lb truck around, without all the weight it should be a head turner. That's interesting on the 260 though I plan to open the exhaust up on this one so she can cruse it around and get good mileage before we plop in that 455 olds and pretty much do away with any mileage it had lol

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My car had that firewall insulation on it. It was originally a diesel. You could look at that stuff cross-eyed and it would crumble and fall off. It's a real chore to get the sealer that they used around all the edges off. I'm sure it was to keep the engine noise from the diesel out of the cabin.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I didn't think of the engine noise, I guess today a noisy diesel is kind of the thing but back then they were trying to compare them in everyway to be better than gas. I will be taking it off, as brittle and dry as it is I think its more of a fire hazard than anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor