Olds ticket to 9s... LS swap adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Do you have the pumps staged or no? I've forgotten, do you have a Terminator or Dominator?

Last edited:

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Got the rad shroud finish cut for the fans, fans mounted and wrapped the edge of the cookie sheet.... I mean custom rad shroud in 5/16 split fuel line.

Looking pretty much like it's a win in my books.

20200528_221616.jpg
20200528_221628.jpg
20200528_221722.jpg
20200528_222424.jpg
20200528_222430.jpg

Custom rad shroud cost.

Full size baking sheet. Amazon. $32 CAD.
China 14" E-fans. Pair. Amazon. $120 CAD.
Classy Stainless hardware. Home Depot. $12
8' 5/16 fuel hose. $12 CAD.

All in. $174 CAD. Or 126.39 USD

I feel like this was a win.

• Creative
Reactions: 11 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Do you have the pumps staged or no? I've forgotten, do you have a Terminator or Dominator?
Right now they are wired together. I'm rocking an HP so if I have a channel leftover I'll probably stage on 8psi. Would be a real quick redo on the wiring as my fuel relay is in the trunk. Independent feed and 60amp + 30amp pump breaker for fuel needs.

With this rad I can use the steam port inlet for a temp sensor and free up an output for fuel. Kinda was my future planning anyway.

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Right now they are wired together. I'm rocking an HP so if I have a channel leftover I'll probably stage on 8psi.

You'll need a lot of return to handle both of those pumps at the same time. I've been using the two pump setup forever with turbo's and unless you intend to run 20+ psi, then you need to stage the second pump earlier, somewhere in the 1-4 psi range because it will take about 1/2 a second to react. The idea being that you won't be in the sub 8psi area for much more than the 1/2 a second that it takes for the 2nd pump to respond.

My friend, professional tuner, thought we could run two AEM 380's at the same time with truck fuel rails. It blew the end out of one at an estimated 140+ psi at idle hehe (gauge was a 120 psi gauge that got pegged). Fortunately it was in his shop and he had another 4-5 sets in stock lol. Somewhat messy and could be dangerous.

If you have a 1/2" return to the tank, then running both will work, but you'll have a hurricane of fuel in the tank which can cause some aeration on the supply side that is a real 'head scratcher' to tune around.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
You'll need a lot of return to handle both of those pumps at the same time. I've been using the two pump setup forever with turbo's and unless you intend to run 20+ psi, then you need to stage the second pump earlier, somewhere in the 1-4 psi range because it will take about 1/2 a second to react. The idea being that you won't be in the sub 8psi area for much more than the 1/2 a second that it takes for the 2nd pump to respond.

My friend, professional tuner, thought we could run two AEM 380's at the same time with truck fuel rails. It blew the end out of one at an estimated 140+ psi at idle hehe (gauge was a 120 psi gauge that got pegged). Fortunately it was in his shop and he had another 4-5 sets in stock lol. Somewhat messy and could be dangerous.

If you have a 1/2" return to the tank, then running both will work, but you'll have a hurricane of fuel in the tank which can cause some aeration on the supply side that is a real 'head scratcher' to tune around.
If I was running a stock injector setup I would have hit the same pressure when I primed up the system. I saw 70psi on my mechanical gauge but I am set for 43psi. I am -8 feed to regulator and -6 return to tank, all braided stainless, so I am not worried about system capacity with both pumps running. The Denmah ran 3 450s in the Colorado without staging on E85, and fed through a -6 line to 800whp, it should be ok for the 2 340s volume. Kinda what guided my thinking anyway.

I was only thinking 8psi as a base number, it's not hard to adjust if I see a blip in the tune. But I kinda want to see where the first pump runs out, so I have an idea of what its capacity is. I didnt really think of aeration though, so thank you for the insight. I am definitely appreciating you quizzing me and bringing a second viewpoint, helping me think of things I overlooked.

Reactions: 5 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I don't know if this is common knowledge or not. I've never heard about it so here goes. Griffin recommends to have a rubber isolator the whole length of the bottom of radiator. Not just the two rubber pieces. I believe this was the problem with end tanks leaking in the past.
I just ordered the same Griffin...

Reactions: 1 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I don't know if this is common knowledge or not. I've never heard about it so here goes. Griffin recommends to have a rubber isolator the whole length of the bottom of radiator. Not just the two rubber pieces. I believe this was the problem with end tanks leaking in the past.

Ridiculous requirement. Sounds like they’ll do anything to void a warranty.

Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
That is true. It's right in the install instructions. I think it might get a center brace built from another set of stock cushions.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor