Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That's alot of gate on that turbo!

Why change from 44mm?

But I like it and can't wait to see it in action!!

Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
That's alot of gate on that turbo!

Why change from 44mm?

But I like it and can't wait to see it in action!!

I wanted control and to be able to shut off the boost strategy and run gated when I'm on pump gas.

I was unable to control boost at all with the 44mm. At 4200rpm I was hitting boost kill with a verified 7psi spring.

The 60mm works, just have to do rear brakes in mommas car and ill get on the update.

It doesn't make rubber chicken noises... yet...

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Finished up most of the odds and ends today.

Started up with a trip to the Canadian Harbor Freight, Princess Auto. Couple of hole saws and some vac line plumbing goodness. As Injectedcutty says, gonna powerfist the LS.

20200824_113135.jpg

Got the dash in, all gauges mounted and went to flash the new tune, to discover that my new laptop has the newest Holley software so I had to update the firmware on the HP ecu and the 7"dash. That easily will suck 45 minutes out of your day. The software quite specific on how it needs to be done. Fun.

20200824_135803.jpg

The 4 port boost control is mounted, plumbed and wired in. Lookin good!
20200824_140107.jpg

The engine bay only needs the wastegate plumbing to be finished for now. The SEP1500s are in, fuel pressure is set, seems its good to go.

20200824_140122.jpg
20200824_140130.jpg

I'm going to need to modify slightly how the FPR sits on the mount. The correct sized injectors that are direct replacement for the stock truck injectors mean that my rail is not spaced out with 3/8" chrome nuts. Win!

After doing some double checks I took it out for a shakedown. Seems better for boost control, BOV makes ricer sounds and holley is happy with the updates. I am seeing a pile of Knock being detected and I have some lifter noise to address. I feel like it's a loose rocker so tomorrow that's on the top of the list.

So question for the boost initiated.

Whats your safe starting point for timing at 8-10psi? I am at 14degrees and I want to rule out timing. Let's say pump gas and about 9.4 compression.

Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
At 10psi start 12 degrees from where it run NA. So if at 28-30 NA, 16-18 with 10 psi. You could drop another 4 to be sure, but...it's overkill. 14 is plenty low IMO for only 8-10psi.

Your 44mm gate not controlling low boost has me thinking, but if the 60 is better then great.

And FWIW, I'm duking it out with a set of SEP 1500's. I've had 2 fail and when they get hot - f'ing yikes will they lockup. I yanked them tonight and put in a set of Deka 60's that I had laying around. Of course had to drain the tank to swap to gas from E85 and retune, but the 60's work fine - trying to rule out some crazy Holley problem. My issue is I can't stand on it with the 60's because of the 'world's worst hot side WG location' that I built that takes 20+psi before it dumps boost.

Reactions: 3 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I have 91 octane fuel here and have found that I can run it hard at 14lbs of boost and 12* timing for several tanks before I get a bad load of gas and blow up ring lands/bend con rods. I have it running at 9* now and it's been ok for a good while now. E85 is so much more forgiving!!

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
At 10psi start 12 degrees from where it run NA. So if at 28-30 NA, 16-18 with 10 psi. You could drop another 4 to be sure, but...it's overkill. 14 is plenty low IMO for only 8-10psi.

Your 44mm gate not controlling low boost has me thinking, but if the 60 is better then great.

And FWIW, I'm duking it out with a set of SEP 1500's. I've had 2 fail and when they get hot - f'ing yikes will they lockup. I yanked them tonight and put in a set of Deka 60's that I had laying around. Of course had to drain the tank to swap to gas from E85 and retune, but the 60's work fine - trying to rule out some crazy Holley problem. My issue is I can't stand on it with the 60's because of the 'world's worst hot side WG location' that I built that takes 20+psi before it dumps boost.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm a sloppy fan boy but I haven't heard much for problems with the SEP1500s. Which version do you have? Thats interesting that you had such issues, makes me curious.

I'm not sure why I had boost creep so bad, could be I chickened out and wouldn't go higher where the engine would start to handle more air. My setup is such a simple log merge that it probably should have a gate on the front of the log to be "correct". Some people get away with a 44mm on a 7875, i just didn't.

I was 26 degrees NA, so 14 does make sense. I think tomorrow I will be checking the TDC and verifying timing. Probably also change coil packs, ill have to post the log but the knock appears to be on 1 cylinder like a sine wave that increases in amplitude right from no boost. Might be mechanical so I'm gonna pull the valve covers off and check rockers.

I have 91 octane fuel here and have found that I can run it hard at 14lbs of boost and 12* timing for several tanks before I get a bad load of gas and blow up ring lands/bend con rods. I have it running at 9* now and it's been ok for a good while now. E85 is so much more forgiving!!

This tank is showing 25%E, need to burn some tomorrow and add another 5 gal of pure E85. I suppose if you are 14lbs at 12* it makes sense im having problems sooner, I'm probably half a point at least more compression with the 823 heads and the "fast burn" chamber.

Thanks for the insight guys. Much appreciated.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
This is the log of the pull, it was quick and second gear. It seems really noisy to be actual knock for the majority other than the spike, Which is still interesting because it was pulling 2 degrees already for a total of 12 degrees... Shouldn't be scary timing...

????

Screenshot (1).png

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
10psi and 10* timing advance is a good starting point for all basic pump gas builds. It is usually safe to go up from there with timing and airflow (because more boost doesn't always equate to more air mass). The quality of fuel, static compression, and physical attributes of an engine with dictate how far you can go.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
10psi and 10* timing advance is a good starting point for all basic pump gas builds. It is usually safe to go up from there with timing and airflow (because more boost doesn't always equate to more air mass). The quality of fuel, static compression, and physical attributes of an engine with dictate how far you can go.
That sounds like that Lambda stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
That sounds like that Lambda stuff.

I am learning to communicate in French too. That'll be three languages I speak that very few people understand on top of Army and Lambda.

Eh bien!

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor