Olds ticket to 9s... LS swap adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only because you set your tach to "4 cylinder" mode.

sick-burn.jpg

Got the garage cleaned up, put away all the motor explosion.

Decided to put the sump in the new tank.

Did a little mock up
20201009_150145.jpg

Decided to not cut a square out, so I punched 6
1 3/4" holds in the bottom with a hole saw.
20201009_150201.jpg

This wasn't fun, I don't think I would suggest it. The hole saw grabbed edges and jacked my wrist a couple times. Took out 4 pilot drill bits....
20201009_150210.jpg

Anyway, tried the tig first busy fit up wasn't tight enough so burned it in with the mig.
20201009_155418.jpg

I'll pressure test it and smooth out the bubblegum before I put some epoxy primer on it. I've read that welded tanks are prone to rust.

20201009_161033.jpg

X2.

There tons of stories out there about what has been done on a stock bottom end (SBE). IIRC someone has made 1400whp on a SBE 4.8, or something darn close to it with boost in the 50-60 psi range. The issue is how many SBE's did it take before they found the perfect tune and the perfectly balanced SBE? The sloppy 8f8 calamity is descriptive enough for those that followed it - and he's a decently practiced tuner.

I fully understand properly building a motor, and I understand the expense of that as well.

Hopefully Northernregals's build can get him to his goal without boosting it to the moon (mid 20's and above). It would seem that he should be able to hit 9's reasonably with 15-18psi on a 6.0 if his turbo and plumbing are up to the task.

I know I'm down with watchin 🙂 🙂 🙂

4.8 liter
1203hp, 26.8psi, 118 octane race gas.

Speaking of Octane, is 93 available in Alberta? We basically only have 91 non ethanol readily available locally, maybe 93 in Regina.

4.8 liter
1203hp, 26.8psi, 118 octane race gas.

The big bang SBE gen 4 6.0 was 1520 something with 120 race gas and they maxed the 3 bar MAP. I clearly can't be trusted with that great of a responsibility.

Speaking of Octane, is 93 available in Alberta? We basically only have 91 non ethanol readily available locally, maybe 93 in Regina.
93 is available, trustworthy is a different story.

There is 1 E85 pump in Calgary, and is the same price as pump 87.

What octane is E85? I assume the Holley system is compatible. How is the 93 not trustworthy?

What octane is E85? I assume the Holley system is compatible. How is the 93 not trustworthy?
E85 is supposed to be 105 octane but that really depends on the correct percentage that can be all over the map.
I'm guessing 93 in his area is not high quality. Certain parts of North America have better blends than others. I'm lucky here as our 93 is supposed to be high quality.

E85 is supposed to be 105 octane but that really depends on the correct percentage that can be all over the map.
I'm guessing 93 in his area is not high quality. Certain parts of North America have better blends than others. I'm lucky here as our 93 is supposed to be high quality.

I've seen ratings of 110 octane for E85, if its actually 70% or better. There is even a race fuel vendor that sells a racing E85 blend thats not horribly expensive.

I am skeptical of the 93 octane at local pumps, more because I doubt its in enough demand to be fresh in the gas station tank. 91 will play nice with 8psi, i can have the Holley do almost anything I need to make it work.

My Holley system is more featured for this kind of customization, but I have designed the fuel system for E85.

E has advantages over race gas and race gas has advantages over E. Sounds stupid, but it’s the truth.

E is fargin, gosh darn, stupid ridiculous, assininely cheap - sub $2/gal locally. And 108-110 octane, then mix in that you need another 30% + more and it is it’s own meth injection system. Hence the need for the crazy, silly big fuel system. Lastly, it doesn’t seem to matter if your AFR is 10.5 or 12:1 - it puts out the same power. So richen it up and let it rip.

The downside is the corrosiveness. And you really can’t crank up the timing.

C16, 118-120 octane advantage is that it is almost impossible to detonate, bend rods and blow out head gaskets. I’ve heard stories of 30 degrees of timing at 30 psi. Also can get by with ‘normalish’ fuel system . The article that was attached by turboLQ4 indicates 1200hp on 75lb injectors - f’ing yikes.

The downside to C16 - $13-18/ gallon and will not be found in a pump in the northeast.

Weigh the pros and cons and go at it.

Last edited:

Here in Quebec I was using Petro Canada 94 for running my SBC on the stand and wondering why my rubber fuel lines were going hard. Then a friend told me that Petro-can mixes ethanol into their 91 to make 94. No more 94 for me, 91 from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor