Olds ticket to 9s... LS swap adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would explain why Petro Can's 94 disappeared in Saskatchewan. Basically ethanol had to be introduced, it was decided Premium would stay non ethanol, 91 for the most part and regular got the 10 percent. Of course it makes sense since mid grade is a mix of the two, about 5 percent. I remember when there were a bunch of Mohawk stations around, they seem to be the exception to the rule but have for years. All ethanol mix, regular is 87 but mid grade 90 is the regular price and Premium is 94. The one Lake we visited had a Mohawk in the next town. My Wife is too cheap to put Premium in the Challenger, I sneak it in. We were filling up there and I figured the extra octane will help towing. If I could get the Challenger on a steady diet of non ethanol Premium, we might squeeze 40 mpg out of a 4100 pound car, which is insane.

That would explain why Petro Can's 94 disappeared in Saskatchewan. Basically ethanol had to be introduced, it was decided Premium would stay non ethanol, 91 for the most part and regular got the 10 percent. Of course it makes sense since mid grade is a mix of the two, about 5 percent. I remember when there were a bunch of Mohawk stations around, they seem to be the exception to the rule but have for years. All ethanol mix, regular is 87 but mid grade 90 is the regular price and Premium is 94. The one Lake we visited had a Mohawk in the next town. My Wife is too cheap to put Premium in the Challenger, I sneak it in. We were filling up there and I figured the extra octane will help towing. If I could get the Challenger on a steady diet of non ethanol Premium, we might squeeze 40 mpg out of a 4100 pound car, which is insane.

I saw a test by some Mopar hemi people and most of the pump 91 in Alberta is unreliable. Shell was the only stations that were consistent province wide.

My SRT8 300 was good for 34mpg at 75mph, you should be easily able to tickle 37-38 in a 5.7 charger with good fuel.

My car is the 3.6 AWD 8 speed Challenger, which is why 40 should not be off the table. I haul fuel for the Coop and our local station sells a lot of Premium and we haul a lot as well. I have heard that about Shell Premium as well.

Got the sump finished on the stock efi replacement tank today.

This little b*st*rd really tested my resolve.

3 sides welded up fairly quickly and easily. In hindsight I could have had a bit better fit up, and probably put less heat into it.... I blew through a couple times in the thinner metal of the crease. I cut a small piece out and put in a thicker patch piece, since i was having such a good time with it.

20201012_130741.jpg

I for real had to stop and have a time out shortly after that pic was taken. Some meme browsing and food brought me back into the right frame of mind.

This is the last 4 pinholes to patch to seal. Its not pretty, but its sealed.
20201012_153325.jpg

I was using air pressure in the tank and soapy water to see the spots I needed to chase down pinholes. I couldn't even get behind the welds to epoxy seal due to the baffles in the tank. I'll do my best to rinse out the debris tomorrow and dry it out for a coat of primer and rubberized undercoat to protect it.

You Sir are a better man than I. I wish I had the stones to attempt that.
To be honest, it was less than a fuel cell. Including the $20 worth of Argon I used Lol.

For real though, if I didn't have a tig and a mig it would have really sucked.... Unless I fit it better to begin with.

FWIW, don't feel bad. Both of mine went the same way. I had a fabricator/welder tig in my 1st one and it looked similar to yours and a friend did my 2nd. My two and yours look like triplets lol.

Both guys that did mine said the tank metal wasn't consistent enough to tig at a steady rate.

Not leaking is the key phrase 👍. A sump makes draining the fuel system and plumbing the primary filter much easier.

Got the sump finished on the stock efi replacement tank today.

This little b*st*rd really tested my resolve.

3 sides welded up fairly quickly and easily. In hindsight I could have had a bit better fit up, and probably put less heat into it.... I blew through a couple times in the thinner metal of the crease. I cut a small piece out and put in a thicker patch piece, since i was having such a good time with it.

View attachment 159337

I for real had to stop and have a time out shortly after that pic was taken. Some meme browsing and food brought me back into the right frame of mind.

This is the last 4 pinholes to patch to seal. Its not pretty, but its sealed.
View attachment 159338

I was using air pressure in the tank and soapy water to see the spots I needed to chase down pinholes. I couldn't even get behind the welds to epoxy seal due to the baffles in the tank. I'll do my best to rinse out the debris tomorrow and dry it out for a coat of primer and rubberized undercoat to protect it.

What sump did you end up with? Im looking at going to a MF 750 and it says to have a -12 to the pump feed which means the sump would need a 3/4" outlet on the sump. Most i have seen are 1/2".

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony1968
What sump did you end up with? Im looking at going to a MF 750 and it says to have a -12 to the pump feed which means the sump would need a 3/4" outlet on the sump. Most i have seen are 1/2".

Also going with a magnafuel 4303 secondary.
The sump was the cheapo summit special and came with 1/2" NPT threads. I am going to run both to the pump and merge at the pump. I'll look into that today, I must have missed that on the instructions. Quick and easy to burn in a new pipe nipple right now.

Also going with a magnafuel 4303 secondary.
The sump was the cheapo summit special and came with 1/2" NPT threads. I am going to run both to the pump and merge at the pump. I'll look into that today, I must have missed that on the instructions. Quick and easy to burn in a new pipe nipple right now.

For applications exceeding 1000 hp the pump should be feed with a -12line. MagnaFuel recommends the in-let line be one size larger than the out-let(i.e. -10in and -8 out or -12 in and -10 out). Since im running E85 i will make sure that i have this thing plumbed to its full potential. Also make sure that you have a true 1/2" or -8AN vent. The stock venting is not enough for the amount these pumps suck lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor