omg wtf i bought the wrong length 700r4

Status
Not open for further replies.

illregal82

Master Mechanic
Jul 4, 2006
MINNEAPOLIS
you might have read the thread about my caprices transmission going out. so i bought a 700r4 out of a 2wd 90 chevy 1500 and its 2 inches longer than one that came out the car today . the one i bought has a removable tail the one removed from the car does not . does anyone know the lengths of 350turbos long/short tails or what gm car has a 55 inch drive shaft ? i found a transmission tonight out of a 87 parrisene so i might keep the other 700r4 i bought for my regal and have the drive shaft shortened or shorten the caprice drive shaft any suggestions

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Here is a good site:

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/Automat ... onSwap.htm

You will see there can be up to a 1 1/4" length difference between various 700R4/4L60's, depending on application.

The TH350 extensions were 6, 9 aqnd 12". Looking at the chart the 700R4's with extensions used TH350 extensions, so you might be able to get the transmission to work without shortening the driveshaft, if you can correct the length of the tail.

-Mark-

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
You would also need to swap out the output shaft to the corresponding shaft from the trans with the correct tailshaft length to get it to work.

illregal82

Master Mechanic
Jul 4, 2006
MINNEAPOLIS
You would also need to swap out the output shaft to the corresponding shaft from the trans with the correct tailshaft length to get it to work.

what are you talking about output shaft , you mean the splined end of the drive shaft i have that for the one i bought and we tried using a g body drive shaft it fit but not quite long enough

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
illregal82 said:

what are you talking about output shaft , you mean the splined end of the drive shaft i have that for the one i bought and we tried using a g body drive shaft it fit but not quite long enough
No, it has nothing to do with the driveshaft yoke. I mean the transmission's output shaft.If you swap just the tailshaft housing, the outout shaft will stick out beyond the end of the transmission.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
jerry455 said:
200r4 is a 1 piece casting 700r4 has a removable tail

The pans are quite different too.

9f59ff58007aPanIdpic.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor