Operation Lipstick on a Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it be crossfire from the plug wire routing?

Reactions: fleming442
I found your problem:

Its not an LS. 😉

Last night, I ripped the fuel rail out to determine what injectors are in this thing. Then, after a morning blast through the woods on the bike, I went to the pick your part, and snatched 2 injectors off a FWD Series 2. I also grabbed a pigtail for an injector. I hit the parts store for $20 worth of o-rings because I ripped one removing the rail assembly last night. I then sprayed the injectors off with Brakleen, soaked them in Purple Power, and scrubbed them with a toofbrush and Scotchbrite. Then, I stuck them in cardboard, and filled the inlets with straight Lucas injector cleaner. I used the pigtail I got, a 9v battery, and a momentary push button to make an injector firererer. A small plastic bottle and a nozzle cap were used to push air behind the injector cleaner while I clicked the button, cycling the injector. I let them soak a bit, and reassembled. Damn thing had the same miss on start up. GRRRRRRR. It did clear up, but it now smokes out the exhaust a bit. The junkyard injector went in #1, so that will help troubleshoot the situation. If it stays on #3, I have a bad ICM or internal engine issues- sticky valve?20190809_201854.jpg20190810_143119.jpg20190810_152357.jpg

Good news! Cleaning the injectors got rid of the miss. I don't smell gas when it's full anymore. I put the tee back in the EVAP line, and it doesn't die when full anymore. The fuel gauge is 'different' now since I straightened the float arm while repairing the sender o-ring. It doesn't stay so far past full that the 'check gauges' light stays on so long. I need to get a feel for it all over again because it was down around a 1/4 tank Friday, and I drifted into the gas station. I don't know if it's because I went around a traffic circle a little hot first or if that's just my new 'empty'. Mileage is hanging around 22-23 at the moment, but that's included a few WOT pulls with injector cleaner. Overall, I say it's back to how it should be if not a touch better. I might have to hit the track to throw a number on it before the season is over.

Just for curiosity sake, did you ohm test the old injectors against the "new" ones?

Just for curiosity sake, did you ohm test the old injectors against the "new" ones?
Nope. I only installed one 'new' one and changed it's hole. Honestly, I don't think the one I replaced was inop- just munged up. I figured that if I was getting a P0303 and I move it, then the code should change to P0301. BUT, <knocks on wood> the light has stayed out after running 11 gallons through it over 225 miles or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor