Operation Lipstick on a Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I did not resize the rods, but yes, new (reman) crank, 1 new rod, rings, main and rod bearings. Same cam bearings.
I did put a new oil pump in the aluminum housing. It's basically LS style.
Oil pressure is still up around 45psi, but fell to 20ish at hot idle. That's really not bad at all, however, it started at 75/60.
Looks like it will be coming apart, AGAIN.....

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That oil pressure isn't bad. Change the oil and see what happens.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
With the amount of sludge that was in that motor I wouldn't be surprised if the timing cover/oil pump housing was shot.

Last edited:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I would absolutely expect those numbers from a fresh build. Everything is wearing in and loosening up. Don't freak out yet. Do the oil change and go from there.

My 327 did the same thing. I wanted to verify with a Snap On pressure gauge and found that my car's oil pressure gauge was reading way low at idle. It was actually 25psi @600rpm hot instead of the <5 that my dash was telling me. Oddly, it was close to accurate at higher pressures. Engine has been fine for around 3000 miles.

• Winner

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
When the oil pressure dropped in my latest engine it went from 35 to 18psi hot idle. Went back to the 35 after oil and filter change. I've found that my setup in particular is not good at bypassing the filter and pressure will drop way off when the filter gets plugged.

It happened a few times due to coked oil before I opened up the turbo oil supply. Better now.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I would absolutely expect those numbers from a fresh build. Everything is wearing in and loosening up. Don't freak out yet. Do the oil change and go from there.

My 327 did the same thing. I wanted to verify with a Snap On pressure gauge and found that my car's oil pressure gauge was reading way low at idle. It was actually 25psi @600rpm hot instead of the <5 that my dash was telling me. Oddly, it was close to accurate at higher pressures. Engine has been fine for around 3000 miles.
Thanks for the reassurance! It's the marbl-y sound in the bottom that concerns me. Although, now that I think about it, my 6.0 has sounded like that from day 1. :ROFLMAO:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
It was a double post. I got quoted twice though so the ego bump was twice as enjoyable.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Update: another 50 miles or so home, and the oil pressure did the exact same thing. At least it's not worse...
I have to revisit the exhaust. It's better, but still too loud and thumps on the axle tube.
Fingers crossed!

• Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor