Operation Lipstick on a Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I stopped by a local mechanic shop yesterday on the way home to get the A/C system evacuated so I could replace the compressor, drier, and orifice tube, AGAIN. The guys were really cool, and impressed with my build. Turns out the tech was part of the family that used to run the local dragstrip (75-80 Dragway), and has a family owned since new '77 T/A. The steering wheel got his attention. The best part: no charge! (y)

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Got the AC working again. I think (know) I had an error in procedure installing the previous system by pouring the PAG in the low pressure hose. This time, I actually pu it in the fill plug, then worked it by hand. My buddy filled it back up for me for $20. He put a little too much in at first, and had to let some off. It seems to be the coldest it's ever been. I'll put the thermometer on it tomorrow.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Oh, gahd! Driving back and forth from work this week, it startted acting funny. Off idle stumble, quit pulling around 3500 rpm, etc. I threw the scanner on it last night, and FAHK! P1221- TPS. I started weighing my options, and thought about taking a cordless drill to the u-pull-it and robbing one out of a TB IF I could find one. Then, I thought "how long will that last?". So, I decided to buy new. If you remember, this is a DBW TB. A new Spectra is $700-1000! Most places were out of the Delcos, and they were the same price all the way up to $1300. Fvck me runnin'! Finally, found a new Delco on eBay for $514 with free shipping. Someone please shoot me.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That is insane for cost, is the TPS part of the throttle body. I am giving up on the mileage machine, the 260 has a sticking lifter and is a 260, I may make it a 442 clone with a 403 stroker, may do a 424 decal where the factory 442 would go.

Reactions: 1 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I have just read this from page 1. I am amazed by your work and dedication, fleming442. It may not be a 1,000hp turbo LS, but this car is awesome in its own right.

I’ll bet you started out thinking, “3.8 to 3.8, how hard could it be?” We’ll, you found out the hard way, but the finished product is amazing.

Consider that you have nearly double the HP it had stock, and better FE. 26 highway is darned impressive, if you ask me. I’m glad you didn’t throw in the towel. I know there were a couple times you were about to.

• Agree

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Thanks, Cali.
307&403, yes, the TPS is a "non-serviceable" ,and GM riveted a cover over it, hence the cordless drill to the boneyard. I looked before, and couldn't find a new one on the web.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor