Optima battery ???'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My experience is way different. I used an Odyssey in the Wife's Cobalt because the battery is in the trunk. At the time the specialy vented GM battery was hard to find and $300. So I liked the idea of a sealed AGM battery that would not gas in the trunk. It lasted 7 or 8 years flawlessly with a woman driver. Then one night it just quit at the worst possible time far from home. Research indicated that those type were originally developed for aviation so they could be upside down and not spill acid. But they had a history of failure with no warning so aviation spec'd two batteries so there would be redundancy. By then Sears offered a Die Hard in that style so I got one on sale very cheap and so far no issues. Now in my Jeep I have a pretty old red top Optima that has led an excruciatingly bad life. At first we thought the battery was crap but it was the vehicle it was in. It lives on in the Jeep with just an occasional charge just because. So perhaps the OP just got some bad ones and it's a coincidence.

Reactions: 1 user

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
It doesn't matter what Brand of battery you buy there will always be a percentage that are faulty, just law of averages.

I've had luck with any Gel battery l've bought, which are Optima an Interstate an they sit for long periods of time without being used. I guess l'm just lucky!!

Even my ATV's have them.

Reactions: 1 users

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
I bet the main reason they moved to Mexico was because of the EPA.

Most coils are made in Mexico too because the laws don't allow them to be made here.

East Penn is Made in USA, and they supply all the AGM batteries sold at AutoZone, O'Reilly and NAPA.

And if laws wouldn't allow coils to be made here, ALL coils would be made in Mexico, not just most.

Last edited:

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
It amazes me how people rationalize things. Pay a fat price for something made offshore, offshore is the EPA's fault and bad parts "happen to the best of them."

As for chargers, I bought this thing 20 years ago at K-Mart ....

DSC1543.JPG DSC1544.JPG

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
That is true, but still ....

Oh, and on the charger, I forgot .... :mrgreen:

DSC1545.JPG

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Last edited:

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Whatever the problem is I'm not buying a Optima battery if it says made in Mexico my other 2 have been going on for like 5 years and they are good and strong not made in Mexico

Dickey, I guess nothing I can tell you will change your mind lol. Everything from Mexico is total crap! Did you also know that men have not landed on the moon yet either? It was a total scam, I watched it on Netflix!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor